FNIS for Modders / FNIS 4.0 [WIP]

fore

Hi Fore,

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Would it be possible for FNIS to build a behavior file for SOS?  I can animate and export the nodes; but I can't write the behavior file.  There are some custom slots (or whatever the proper term would be) in the file that I have been able to plug a few animations into manually; but I would need upward of 300 more slots and there are only 10.  I tried adding more manually but I can't get them to work.

Thank you for your time, and for FNIS.

:cool:

I have a sort of general question.

I have a sequenced animation to be played at idle markers and I'm having trouble moving from one cycled animation to another e.g.

s -a myAnim1 anim1.hkx

+ cycleAnim1 anim2.hkx

+ cycleAnim2 anim2.hkx

+ -a endAnim anim3.hkx

The documentation says:

"Cyclic animation parts need to be terminated by calling SendAnimationEvent() to any other part, even
previous ones (so you can easily make loops etc)"
How do I do this in the context of idle markers?

Thanks

Even when in an idle marker you can have a script running (a quest script or a alias reference script) which sends the appropriate animations. But it has to be a script.

Hi Fore,

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Would it be possible for FNIS to build a behavior file for SOS?  I can animate and export the nodes; but I can't write the behavior file.  There are some custom slots (or whatever the proper term would be) in the file that I have been able to plug a few animations into manually; but I would need upward of 300 more slots and there are only 10.  I tried adding more manually but I can't get them to work.

Thank you for your time, and for FNIS.

:cool:

Wow. 300 animations with a slong? That's a real tool box. :D

No, you can't do it with FNIS. But it reminds me of the very beginning of FNIS. When I started to manually add slots for character idles, and I wrote a tiny little program to add the additional data. Like 20 lines of code. 5 years ago.

But since I have some affiliation to your task I will tell you what to do. Just send me a link. I'm not so familiar with this area (of modding, of course). :)

I have a sort of general question.

I have a sequenced animation to be played at idle markers and I'm having trouble moving from one cycled animation to another e.g.

s -a myAnim1 anim1.hkx

+ cycleAnim1 anim2.hkx

+ cycleAnim2 anim2.hkx

+ -a endAnim anim3.hkx

The documentation says:

"Cyclic animation parts need to be terminated by calling SendAnimationEvent() to any other part, even
previous ones (so you can easily make loops etc)"
How do I do this in the context of idle markers?

Thanks

Even when in an idle marker you can have a script running (a quest script or a alias reference script) which sends the appropriate animations. But it has to be a script.

Awesome Thank you, I'll give that a try.

You have no idea what I can do with that thing..... :lol:

But since I have some affiliation to your task I will tell you what to do. Just send me a link. I'm not so familiar with this area (of modding, of course). :)

Please excuse my ignorance; but what do you mean by link?  Do you mean the Behavior file? 

You have no idea what I can do with that thing..... :lol:

Please excuse my ignorance; but what do you mean by link?  Do you mean the Behavior file? 

Wherever I can find the xml or hkx, or whatever you take as basis. Even if it's the official relase. Just so I can be sure I take the proper part.

Wherever I can find the xml or hkx, or whatever you take as basis. Even if it's the official relase. Just so I can be sure I take the proper part.

Ah, ok.  Sorry for my confusion.

Here are the two files that I am working on. 

<removed>

There must be a second behavior file that has to be changed. A file similar to the character defaultmale/defaultfemale.hkx that contains the DEFINITION of the animation files. In the 2 files you posted is only the USE of the already defined animation files.

There must be a second behavior file that has to be changed. A file similar to the character defaultmale/defaultfemale.hkx that contains the DEFINITION of the animation files. In the 2 files you posted is only the USE of the already defined animation files.

Oops, right you are.  Here they are.

<removed>

Here are the changes for Male. I give you the general instruction, so you understand what to do and can do it for giant, which is almost identical.

Maybe I should have warned you beforehand, that this is not a simple couple of lines change, as you can see from the attachment. Adding something to behaviors is always tedious work. For me this amount of changes is (actually was) normal. But for someone being new it's probably not.

You can of course ask me if you have any questions.

SOS_Changes_Tweens.txt

Tedious work you say??  LOL.  Just about everything to do with modding is tedious.  As long as I know what I am doing, the work is expected. 

When I made all the SOS animations for the Giant I kept the naming convention the same, so that Male is replaced by Giant.  That should make the job easier.  Find and replace is a wonderful thing.  ;)

Thank you so very much for taking the time to help.  I bow before you.

Hopefully I won't have to bother you again; nonetheless, thank you for the offer.  :cool:

Hi fore, I have a question about Alternate Animations and Trigger Events. Using the example in the documentation as an example here:

T xpe3_Dag_Unequip.hkx Unequip_OutMoving -0.33 Unequip_Out -0.0 BeginWeaponSheathe 0.0

If I were to include:

T xpe3_Dag_Unequip.hkx Unequip_OutMoving -0.33 Unequip_Out -0.0 BeginWeaponSheathe 0.0 myCustomAnimEvent 0.05

Would I be able to use RegisterForAnimationEvent and Event OnAnimationEvent to watch for myCustomAnimEvent?

Hi Fore,

I've made it to the point of adding additional entries to the SoSBehavior; and I have a question:

In your example, you say to add 7 to each #xxxx; yet your example starts with #1061 and ends with #1068. By adding 7 the next animation block would start with 1068.  Should it not be 1069, or am I missing something?

Hi Fore,

I've made it to the point of adding additional entries to the SoSBehavior; and I have a question:

In your example, you say to add 7 to each #xxxx; yet your example starts with #1061 and ends with #1068. By adding 7 the next animation block would start with 1068.  Should it not be 1069, or am I missing something?

Oh sorry. I had noticed that myself when I looked at those nodes. And then forgot to change it. Age. :)

Reason is that #1064 isn't necessary. The same reference to #0064 for all instances is sufficient. I hope I can just tell you what to change.

1. Remove the whole #1064 node
  2. In #1063 replace "#1064{+7}" by "#0064"
  3. Replace all "#1065" by "#1064"
  4. Replace all "#1066" by "#1065"
  5. Replace all "#1067" by "#1066"
  6. Replace all "#1068" by "#1067"

Oh sorry. I had noticed that myself when I looked at those nodes. And then forgot to change it. Age. :)

Reason is that #1064 isn't necessary. The same reference to #0064 for all instances is sufficient. I hope I can just tell you what to change.

1. Remove the whole #1064 node
  2. In #1063 replace "#1064{+7}" by "#0064"
  3. Replace all "#1065" by "#1064"
  4. Replace all "#1066" by "#1065"
  5. Replace all "#1067" by "#1066"
  6. Replace all "#1068" by "#1067"

OK, I see what you mean.  Files have been updated.   Thank you. 

Hi fore, I have a question about Alternate Animations and Trigger Events. Using the example in the documentation as an example here:

T xpe3_Dag_Unequip.hkx Unequip_OutMoving -0.33 Unequip_Out -0.0 BeginWeaponSheathe 0.0

If I were to include:

T xpe3_Dag_Unequip.hkx Unequip_OutMoving -0.33 Unequip_Out -0.0 BeginWeaponSheathe 0.0 myCustomAnimEvent 0.05

Would I be able to use RegisterForAnimationEvent and Event OnAnimationEvent to watch for myCustomAnimEvent?

No, I didn't implement custom AnimEvents for AAs. 

When I implemented AAs I was under a lot of time pressure. And adding custom AEs had taken quite some time. More than it looks like.

Thanks for the reply, fore. I was working with some attack animations and wanted something to trigger on 1-handed power attacks. Instead, I included the 2-handed power attack AnimEvents (I think it was AttackPowerXX_FXStart, or something like that) in my custom 1-handed power attacks. Everything is working as I need it now.

I'm working with the mod author of the 2B Follower mod and I'm hoping the work I've done will be available soon enough, giving the follower a unique attack moveset. Often I think FNIS AA has a lot of untapped potential. And hopefully this would make some headway towards that.

Thanks for the reply, fore. I was working with some attack animations and wanted something to trigger on 1-handed power attacks. Instead, I included the 2-handed power attack AnimEvents (I think it was AttackPowerXX_FXStart, or something like that) in my custom 1-handed power attacks. Everything is working as I need it now.

I'm working with the mod author of the 2B Follower mod and I'm hoping the work I've done will be available soon enough, giving the follower a unique attack moveset. Often I think FNIS AA has a lot of untapped potential. And hopefully this would make some headway towards that.

Oh I love it. Since I released it one and a half years ago I was waitng for something like that. It's always like "Can you (i.e. me) do something like that with AAs". And if I asked them to do something, then no, they don't have the knowledge. I even included an example script for weapon specific animations, and personally asked modders of animations or weapons. But noone does it. 

If it weren't the people here on LL, I probably had given up on AA.

Interested to see you mod. :cool:

Right! I mean, I have been hoping to get animators interested enough in my "Battle Bards" mod to make custom "attack" animations, so I can understand how some projects that would want to use FNIS AA might be limited by the fact that skilled animators are a rarity. But there are some cases where the animations are there but FNIS AA simply has not been used for some reason. A great example is Spears by Soolie. The animations are already there for a complete spear moveset. The weapon assets exist too! FNIS AA could be used to seamlessly add spear movesets to the game, but nobody has done that yet!

I keep saying that for the last year, FNIS AA is the biggest advancement for modding Skyrim. But it's potential isn't realized yet. Perhaps, the Realistic Animation Project will be the next major project to really advance the use of FNIS AA: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/5106zy/realistic_animation_project_combat_more_update/

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times before, but how to include Basic animations for monsters?

I created a little idle, using a Rig by Anubis. Result: A Riekling on his prancing Boar. To test it, I wanted to add the idle as a basic animation, so I added to my FNIS-list the following:

b bt1 boartest.hkx
b bt2 boartest2.hkx

Then I started FNIS for modders and after that FNIS for users. In the FNISforModders created _Behavior.hkx I can see the animation present, but can't find it in the FNISforUsers files and not in CK (I would kind of expect bt1/bt2 as Events under "Gameplay->Animations" and wanted t but I can't find it).

Any clue what might be missing?

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times before, but how to include Basic animations for monsters?

I created a little idle, using a Rig by Anubis. Result: A Riekling on his prancing Boar. To test it, I wanted to add the idle as a basic animation, so I added to my FNIS-list the following:

b bt1 boartest.hkx
b bt2 boartest2.hkx

Then I started FNIS for modders and after that FNIS for users. In the FNISforModders created _Behavior.hkx I can see the animation present, but can't find it in the FNISforUsers files and not in CK (I would kind of expect bt1/bt2 as Events under "Gameplay->Animations" and wanted t but I can't find it).

Any clue what might be missing?

It's hard to judge, since you are not describing EXACTLY what you do. 

First of all, If you want to use FNIS as a modder, you have to get FNIS Modders' doc. It tells you for example, that the anim list name has to be  "FNIS_<mod>_<creature>_List.txt". Did you do that? And did you install the FNIS creature pack?

What is also important:

• Beth used no strict naming conventions. See "BehavioredObjects.txt" for relevant files and folders

• See FNIS Zoo (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/38384) as an example how to use creature animations in a mod.

Although I doubt that you can use FNIS in your case. FNIS allows you to add (simple) idles. I don't know how Riekling riding animations are implemented in the game, but I doubt they are simple idles.

It's hard to judge, since you are not describing EXACTLY what you do. 

First of all, If you want to use FNIS as a modder, you have to get FNIS Modders' doc. It tells you for example, that the anim list name has to be  "FNIS_<mod>_<creature>_List.txt". Did you do that? And did you install the FNIS creature pack?

What is also important:

• Beth used no strict naming conventions. See "BehavioredObjects.txt" for relevant files and folders

• See FNIS Zoo (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/38384) as an example how to use creature animations in a mod.

Although I doubt that you can use FNIS in your case. FNIS allows you to add (simple) idles. I don't know how Riekling riding animations are implemented in the game, but I doubt they are simple idles.

The "Riding Riekling" is just one creature, that happens to look like it's a a rieckling riding a boar. It's just one skeleton with it's own mesh  (instead of something like the engine combining a riekling with a wandering boar). So I cross fingers that it'll work.

I was missing, the <creature> part, d'oh. Back to the drawing board, and thanks once again.

Archived