Solutions to slow running scripts in Skyrim

hey guys just wondering about this. ive read through the comments and some say doing the ini tweaks listed above are bad, while others say it really helped. I don't want to mess up my save so I guess im asking is this safe to try or will it immediately mess me up?

best thing i can tell you is BACKUP your skyrim.INI before changing anything!  then if any of your new settings results are worse you can always revert to your defaults. 

cool will do ty.

It must have been written before, but I'll remind again. Convenient Horses has an in-game script tester. It is advisable to run it while testing. For optimum results, run it in an exterior, enter into combat and check readings, do not loot or change cells.

Do this for every different ini settings (starting by default first) and you'll see what is best for you. For my pc and heavy setup I found default settings to be the fastest and most stable.

It must have been written before, but I'll remind again. Convenient Horses has an in-game script tester. It is advisable to run it while testing. For optimum results, run it in an exterior, enter into combat and check readings, do not loot or change cells.

Do this for every different ini settings (starting by default first) and you'll see what is best for you. For my pc and heavy setup I found default settings to be the fastest and most stable.

i switch between the default settings and some that go from 1.4 to 2.0 ms leaving loading at the normal 500.

at defaults i have lag but it only because of an script bloat that i've yet to fix. and at 1.4 to 2.0 stuttering and stable 60fps with no lag.

this is solid proof that my game is optimized well and runs perfectly on my pc. if i could only remove the script lag's source now i would have a flawless experience.

So I was frustrated after cobbling a multicore PC together on the cheap, only to find Skyrim ran its scripts SO SLOOOWWly. I monkey with my settings in game and at the OS level with zero net gains for my efforts. While graphics ran fine on even the highest settings, scripts sometimes took minutes to run. I started blaming mods as removing mods seemed to have a positive effect. Today I discovered the issue is actually the design of the Papyrus script system used in Skyrim. I read an informative treatise written by a scripter that was quite informative as to why it wasn't working as intended here. A little more research lead me to 2 different solutions that when used together made the issue almost inperceptable. One is a plugin for SKSE and the other is settings to add to your Skyrim.INI. I'm kind of impulsive when it comes to tweaking my games for performance and so applied both solutions at the same time. The results were so impressive, I saw no need to test them individually.

Anyway to the point of this post:

IF you are running mods or even not, and you find scripts take minutes to run or fail to run, these solutions will fix that.

1. TESV Acceleration Layer. This is an SKSE plugin written by one of the developers of SKSE. the official forum post and the current file link is found here.

2. INI tweaks. Normally I view INI tweaks as risky business in Skyrim, especially when running from save games. So with Skyrim I have really taken the habit of dated copies of my Skyrim.ini file ( I'm still amazed Skyrim functions at all as I begin to understand its construction). But so far so good with the following additions:

[Papyrus]

fUpdateBudgetMS=800

fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000

iMinMemoryPageSize=256

iMaxMemoryPageSize=512

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2457600

I stumbled across this tweak here (kudos and thanks to Steve40)

The results? Running about 90 mods (of which more than 75% add new scripts) slowed my system to the point where having a vanilla companion, a mod companion and running AFT along with Convenient Horses meant I could go get a coffee, come back and still have to wait for my companions to mount up. (sometimes pausing would speed things up for the moment).

Now I can have 5 followers mount up after me in about 10 secs (including the anims and sounds). Any lag I experience now can be directly attributed to my old clunky HDD and I`m betting I can find a INI solution that will help with that too.

So enjoy faster running scripts with these two simple solutions. Of course if you already knew this, never mind :cool: 

hey guys just wondering about this. ive read through the comments and some say doing the ini tweaks listed above are bad, while others say it really helped. I don't want to mess up my save so I guess im asking is this safe to try or will it immediately mess me up?

The ONLY setting that should need changing is MS from 1.2 to 2.0. I don't even bother with 1.6. I know that I run a script heavy setup and automatically change it to 2.0. 

That really is the only thing you should change.

The ONLY setting that should need changing is MS from 1.2 to 2.0. I don't even bother with 1.6. I know that I run a script heavy setup and automatically change it to 2.0. 

i have an script heavy setup too. should i permanently go to 2.0 or continue using the 1.2 ?

on one i get lag and on the other stutter.. sigh no idea

i have an script heavy setup too. should i permanently go to 2.0 or continue using the 1.2 ?

on one i get lag and on the other stutter.. sigh no idea

Depends, what is your CPU?

Sorry. I help so many people with tech support in so many places every day. I can't remember everything about everyone's setup. 

With a dual core? I'd suggest running a lower script setup, to be totally honest. No amount of tweaks are going to make your scripts run better. You can TRY the tweak and see if it helps a little... but chances are with a dual core @3.0 you're not going to be running that smooth with a script heavy setup. 

I have an 8 core at 3.1ghz, and still get scripting lag from time to time.

Sorry. I help so many people with tech support in so many places every day. I can't remember everything about everyone's setup. 

With a dual core? I'd suggest running a lower script setup, to be totally honest. No amount of tweaks are going to make your scripts run better. You can TRY the tweak and see if it helps a little... but chances are with a dual core @3.0 you're not going to be running that smooth with a script heavy setup. 

I have an 8 core at 3.1ghz, and still get scripting lag from time to time.

unbelievable. scripts are killing my pc and not graphics. first time i got this information in my life  :-/  .

but it won't cut it. i tried 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 ms. none of them helped. 2.0 and 1.8 did maybe once for a short time that's it.

*sad face*

Unfortunately, Skyrim is a very CPU heavy game. They optimized everything quite poorly when they wrote the engine. Your best bet is to try to save up and probably get a cheep i5 and MoBo deal from Newegg (they are always nice combo deals for a decent price. Like me. I'm getting ready to replace my AMD FX8120 and ASUS M5A97 R2.0 with an i7, ASUS Z97 board, 16gb of RAM and a water cooler for just under $600)

Even if you upgraded to my current CPU (which you can't buy anymore) or something similar, instead of going with i5 or i7, you will notice a HUGE increase in performance. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2408846
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2408812

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2408726

Here are a couple of upgrade options that will offer you a massive increase in performance for minimal cost. The middle probably being the biggest bang for your buck.

Unfortunately, Skyrim is a very CPU heavy game. They optimized everything quite poorly when they wrote the engine. Your best bet is to try to save up and probably get a cheep i5 and MoBo deal from Newegg (they are always nice combo deals for a decent price. Like me. I'm getting ready to replace my AMD FX8120 and ASUS M5A97 R2.0 with an i7, ASUS Z97 board, 16gb of RAM and a water cooler for just under $600)

Even if you upgraded to my current CPU (which you can't buy anymore) or something similar, instead of going with i5 or i7, you will notice a HUGE increase in performance. 

Here are a couple of upgrade options that will offer you a massive increase in performance for minimal cost. The middle probably being the biggest bang for your buck.

i just can't. i am saving up for other more important things. for now all i want is the best possible performance increase i can get on my current pc.

besides it's probably a waste of money for my needs. i don't play a lot and mostly use the computer for lightweight things. if you're a dedicated gamer that's fine but i am not 

i just can't. i am saving up for other more important things. for now all i want is the best possible performance increase i can get on my current pc.

besides it's probably a waste of money for my needs. i don't play a lot and mostly use the computer for lightweight things. if you're a dedicated gamer that's fine but i am not 

Then your best bet to maximize performance is to remove some of the most script heavy mods from your setup. 

Sometimes you have to sacrifice cool mods to get the performance you want. I used to have to do this with textures, before I replaced my GTX 660. I couldn't run ENB. I couldn't run HD textures. All I could do was run SweetFX and the High Res Texture Pack from Bethesda, and the mods that I wanted to use to change gameplay and add sex/bodies. 

If changing your mod setup to maximize performance isn't something you're willing to do, then unfortunately you're just going to have to live with the performance that you have :/ I hate to say it, but it's the truth.

Then your best bet to maximize performance is to remove some of the most script heavy mods from your setup. 

Sometimes you have to sacrifice cool mods to get the performance you want. I used to have to do this with textures, before I replaced my GTX 660. I couldn't run ENB. I couldn't run HD textures. All I could do was run SweetFX and the High Res Texture Pack from Bethesda, and the mods that I wanted to use to change gameplay and add sex/bodies. 

If changing your mod setup to maximize performance isn't something you're willing to do, then unfortunately you're just going to have to live with the performance that you have :/ I hate to say it, but it's the truth.

i don't have many left. i already removed 40% of script reliant mods. only essentials remain and armor mods with the mentioned minimal visuals.

my fps is beyond 60fps ( when no scripts heavy scripts work)at this point and i pray to the heavens that there is a way to stop the script bloat of my saves from appearing. maybe it is just one mod that i still haven't removed. a culprit to call. i wish i knew which it is. clearly on one of my older setups that had beyond 250 mods i never had any script lag. something must have changed

At this point, Idk what to tell you. Dual Core CPU is minimum System Requirements for Skyrim, Quad Core is recommended. You SHOULD be experiencing script lag with script heavy mods. If you weren't before, perhaps it's because you had Papyrus Util installed, though I'm not sure that actually HELPS performance... but stranger things have been known to happen.

These are my settings

[Papyrus]

fUpdateBudgetMS=4.5 (Start at 1.2 and increase by .5)

fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=4.5 (Start at 1.2 and increase by .5)

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=1000

bEnableLogging=0

bEnableTrace=0

bLoadDebugInformation=0

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions.

Updated: Please read Mastercobia's post http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/22rbk5/whats_the_best_papyrus_tweaks_to_use/cgq4qk0

Edit: Another correction per the nexus forum. Do not increase those values willy-nilly. They should ALWAYS be below the script fire value that your FPS allows. For example, 60FPS gives you a maximum of 16ms, 35FPS gives you a value of 30ms, and so on.

hi guys I set my ini as the first post said and had stutters. then I set it as the guy above has his and no stutters. ill change my ms from the 1000 to 2.0 and see what that does. ill also download convenient horses and have it ready for when this save game inevitably cant be loaded anymore. trying not to add mods now that im into it. oh and ty for all the info im reading here.

Ok I ran a script latency test with my save game than I went back and to a save before installing it after I removed it. my latency was' estimate 80-100 (hi-120-160, lo-50-70 is that alright or would that be whats making my saves unplayable the farther into the game I get?        

Archived