Solutions to slow running scripts in Skyrim

These are my settings

[Papyrus]

fUpdateBudgetMS=4.5 (Start at 1.2 and increase by .5)

fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=4.5 (Start at 1.2 and increase by .5)

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=1000

bEnableLogging=0

bEnableTrace=0

bLoadDebugInformation=0

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions.

Updated: Please read Mastercobia's post http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/22rbk5/whats_the_best_papyrus_tweaks_to_use/cgq4qk0

Edit: Another correction per the nexus forum. Do not increase those values willy-nilly. They should ALWAYS be below the script fire value that your FPS allows. For example, 60FPS gives you a maximum of 16ms, 35FPS gives you a value of 30ms, and so on.

thank you..

what make you think those settings are good for your config?

if i understand right, if your cpu need 5 ms for a frame, he will have 4.5 ms + 4.5 ms, waste of 4 ms

with default setting, he will have 1.2 ms + 1.2 ms + 1.2 ms + 1.2 ms +1.2 ms, waste of 1ms, but 3 more extratasks

have no idea what is better, but the good first setting would be something above what your cpu need for most frames (to avoid extratasks)

and the next one something above what it need more for most heaviers frames (for less extratasks)

tried 0.2 and 200 to see if that was helping against stack dump, didn't saw any difference, so i use default values

sprinting with the 175 % speed requiem horse from markarth to riften

ibGS1D8.jpg

there's too much going on behind, terrain don't even have the time to load (if you don't crash, your skyrim can take a beating)

an effective way to see what is eating your fps (those houses are not lod, that mean i was already rendering them when i left markarth)

didn't crash, but i had stack dumps, and stack dumps break things

that dragon was playing with something when i enter riften

after 2 shots it died, but it still have some life left

his bar life disappear when dragon soul absorbed disappear, result is a dragon corpse that want to kill me and can't be selected in the console

clW2AgQ.jpg

npc swimming in the air

cJiiYwI.jpg

saw that one from time to time

1IkO7Pb.jpg

too many npc on that trap, stack dump and...

O6SbyzP.jpg

broken gravity

K2umxhg.jpg

These are my settings

[Papyrus]

bEnableLogging=0

bEnableTrace=0

bLoadDebugInformation=0

Updated: Please read Mastercobia's post http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/22rbk5/whats_the_best_papyrus_tweaks_to_use/cgq4qk0

Edit: Another correction per the nexus forum. Do not increase those values willy-nilly. They should ALWAYS be below the script fire value that your FPS allows. For example, 60FPS gives you a maximum of 16ms, 35FPS gives you a value of 30ms, and so on.

thank you..

if i understand right, if your cpu need 5 ms for a frame, he will have 4.5 ms + 4.5 ms, waste of 4 ms

with default setting, he will have 1.2 ms + 1.2 ms + 1.2 ms + 1.2 ms +1.2 ms, waste of 1ms, but 3 more extratasks

have no idea what is better, but the good first setting would be something above what your cpu need for most frames (to avoid extratasks)

and the next one something above what it need more for most heaviers frames (for less extratasks)

tried 0.2 and 200 to see if that was helping against stack dump, didn't saw any difference, so i use default values

ibGS1D8.jpg

there's too much going on behind, terrain don't even have the time to load (if you don't crash, your skyrim can take a beating)

an effective way to see what is eating your fps (those houses are not lod, that mean i was already rendering them when i left markarth)

his bar life disappear when dragon soul absorbed disappear, result is a dragon corpse that want to kill me and can't be selected in the console

clW2AgQ.jpg

npc swimming in the air

cJiiYwI.jpg

1IkO7Pb.jpg

O6SbyzP.jpg

broken gravity

K2umxhg.jpg

Yep, and if you DO change the values, most places suggest going no higher than 2.0ms. 

• 2 weeks later...

TESVAL seriously needs to be easier to find as a script lag fix (like, why isn't this a part of S.T.E.P.?). I went from just standing around doing nothing (idling) with a script lag of about 15-30 seconds down to sitting at a cool 58ms.

This was with a large set of Sexlab stuff and Wet and Cold turned on. I was having to turn off several S.T.E.P. script mods, Frostfall, EBT, Wearable Lanterns, and several other scripted mods just to even maybe get it to register I had done something SL related (even then, the animations weren't going anywhere).

The real test is turning everything on. This included the full S.T.E.P. Core + some Extended features (CCO, EBT, etc), Frostfall, WL, several weather mods (Real Shelter, W&C, CoT, RWT, CoTWP and Sounds) the missing SL mods (like Devious devices), etc. Overall mod count well exceeding the normal limit (custom merged S.T.E.P. files mostly to get count down to 242 plugins after patching).

After configuring all of the added mods (which of course lagged a bit), it jumped right back down to 55-60ms with slight spikes around 88-180ms when new events started (like using fw to turn up the storms) but immediately dropped back down afterward it started.

For reference, I am using the (near) default papyrus settings with an FPS limiter set to 60. Here is my config and a list of the mods I am running:

[Papyrus]
fUpdateBudgetMS = 1.2
fExtraTaskletBudgetMS = 1.2
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS = 500.0
iMinMemoryPageSize = 128
iMaxMemoryPageSize = 512
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes = 76800
bEnableLogging = 0
bEnableTrace = 0
bLoadDebugInformation = 0
bEnableProfiling = 0

Mod List:

S.T.E.P. Fixes (Except CCO which I turned off due to a glitch with Helmet Toggle and custom races)
XP32 Max Skeleton Extended (Grooves version)
FNIS
S.T.E.P. - Interface (Except Time on Loading Screen and Lore Based Loading Screen)
S.T.E.P. - L&E (Except Lanterns, Re-Def Dungeons, and The Beauty of Skyrim-Dungeons)
S.T.E.P. - Better Freckles
S.T.E.P. - C&E (Core only)
S.T.E.P. - A&E (Core + DW Blocking, Mintys Lightning, and Ice Spikes)
S.T.E.P. - Sounds (All of it)
S.T.E.P. - Gameplay (Except Oblivion Gates, Coin redux, TCiY, and EBQO)
S.T.E.P. - Patches (All, using Core patch)
R.E.G.S. - (BFT, Better Docks, Winterhold Expanded, ICW, RRR-Enhanced, NSUTR, RBB, Falskaar, Wyrmstooth, 3DNPC, all Quest and Gameplay Quests)
Stealth Skills Rebalanced
Better Vampires
Moonlight Tales
Werewolf Mastery
AFT
Hearthfire Multiple Adoptions
Vampire Lord and Werewolf Hybrid
Alternate Start
Borderless Window
UI Extensions
HDT Physics Extensions
AddItemMenu
Frostfall
Wearable Lanterns
Hunterborn
Helmet Toggle
ApachiiSkyHair
FNIS Flyer
XP32 Animations
iNeed (havent tried turning RND back on, may switch back)
SPERG (with Weapon Styles and Unarmed addons)
Bandoliers
Enchanting Awakened
Immersive Armors and Weapons
Bathing in Skyrim
Drinking Fountains of Skyrim + Sounds
Animated Animal Ears for Humanoids
Calyps Animal Ears
HDT Tails Wearable
Skyrim Theme Menu Music - Violin Cover by Jason Yang
Animated Dragon Wings
ASO (Nature of the Beast II)
Dimonized UNP Female
TERA Armors
SexLab
SoS
First Person Plugin
Individualized Shout Cooldown
Zaz Animations
Mighty Beasts - Werewolf
Strotis Outdoor Toilet Resource
BeastestLair
SL More Creatures
SL Aroused + Creatures
SL Dialogues
SL Cumshot
Untamed
SL Defeat + Submit
Private Needs
More Nasty Critters
Non-SL Animations
Papyrusutil
Underground Bathhouse
Bat Travel
CoT
CoT WP
ESS - CoT
Supreme Storms
Real Shelter
Puppet Master + Swallow
Devious Devices + ForHim & Expansion
Sanguine Debauchery
Beastiality Animations + Extras
Become a Bard
Natural Skryim Rain
Watercolor
(and now TESVAL and a few mods I didnt list, only two of which add scripts)

• 2 weeks later...

These are my settings

[Papyrus]

bEnableLogging=0

bEnableTrace=0

bLoadDebugInformation=0

thank you..

ibGS1D8.jpg

clW2AgQ.jpg

npc swimming in the air

cJiiYwI.jpg

1IkO7Pb.jpg

O6SbyzP.jpg

broken gravity

K2umxhg.jpg

Yep, and if you DO change the values, most places suggest going no higher than 2.0ms. 

i have a below average rig for todays standards. what should my papyrus settings be to play in at least 40-50fps??? please tell me already i feel like choking from all the failed attempts. it's worse than pulling teeth. 

the situation is the following in literally every interior cell i get 60fps and in every exterior the fps drop below 30 fps! what am i doing wrong and why are my scripts making stack dumps/failed attempts for lets say.. A SIMPLE WALK through an heavily unpopulated area????!

P.S no just no! don't even ask me if i am running heavy visual mods and enbs because i only have and always will use the bare minimum.

like realistic lightning overhaul,better nights, CoT for the weather, pure waters.basically all the most optimized and simplistic modifications imaginable.(had it checked with all script related mods disabled, results were constant 60 fps on all external areas ) :/ please just what should i do?

Actually RLO, COT and Pure Waters are some of the more script heavy mods, and eat more performance than you think.

Try switching to Relighting Skyrim, Pure Weathers, and Realistic Water Two, instead. 

Also set up ENBOOST, not ENB. (phase 3 in my guide). In enblocal.ini make sure to set "enablespeedhackwithoutgraphics=true"

Actually RLO, COT and Pure Waters are some of the more script heavy mods, and eat more performance than you think.

Try switching to Relighting Skyrim, Pure Weathers, and Realistic Water Two, instead. 

Also set up ENBOOST, not ENB. (phase 3 in my guide). In enblocal.ini make sure to set "enablespeedhackwithoutgraphics=true"

i am this outdated on it?  :s  well thanks. can you also give me the most balanced ini tweak for papyrus or a link to it if it's in one of your guides.

would be perfect. i am way to scared to touch anything within skyrim.ini anymore :(

Go through the first 3 phases of my guide, then phase 9. Remember to change the setting in enblocal.ini to "enablespeedhackwithoutgraphics=true" (or something very similar)

what should my papyrus settings be to play in at least 40-50fps???

as if papyrus settings could boost fps

as if papyrus settings could boost fps

but i thought some said changing the values may reduce script lag aka as the thing that reduces performance? or am i wrong there too?

"FPS" shows how often picture on your monitor updates. "Script lag" shows how often NPC AI updates, meaning that characters won't stand in place waiting for script to tell them what to do next.

Tweaking these ini settings can reduce your max possible FPS, but never increase your actual one.

"FPS" shows how often picture on your monitor updates. "Script lag" shows how often NPC AI updates, meaning that characters won't stand in place waiting for script to tell them what to do next.

Tweaking these ini settings can reduce your max possible FPS, but never increase your actual one.

ok then why is the script lag affecting my fps? with it present everything feels like it in slow motion. i would not have mentioned the two together if that wasn't the case. 

This is mine:

fUpdateBudgetMS=2.0
fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=2.0
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=1000.0
iMinMemoryPageSize=128
iMaxMemoryPageSize=512
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=76800

I have an older i5 2500K processor and play a script heavy game.

as you can see i am still trying Veladarius. with very little success. all the i have this and i have that back and forth will not get me far.

and i5 is not low. i5 for modded skyrim solid. my two cores are low end. also i did try 2.0 ms yesterday but got constant freezing in the exterior.

to sum up on defaults i get slow motion and on higher values stutter and freezes.

enblocal.ini? where is that located? i looked through your entire guide,and this wasn't mentioned anywhere. :\

i looked inside my skyrim main directory and documents. not a trace. nevermind i think it is this: 

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38649/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D38649&pUp=1

but i am already using HI algo boost. won't two of them conflict?

This is mine:

fUpdateBudgetMS=2.0
fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=2.0
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=1000.0
iMinMemoryPageSize=128
iMaxMemoryPageSize=512
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=76800

I have an older i5 2500K processor and play a script heavy game.

as you can see i am still trying Veladarius. with very little success. all the i have this and i have that back and forth will not get me far.

and i5 is not low. i5 for modded skyrim solid. my two cores are low end. also i did try 2.0 ms yesterday but got constant freezing in the exterior.

to sum up on defaults i get slow motion and on higher values stutter and freezes.

Try taking a look at any mods you have that routinely check the surroundings and see if the rate they check can be slowed down. I know that both Creature Framework and SexLab Werewolves were set to check every 5 seconds, I would set them to 30 seconds but now I just turn off the Aroused plugin for Creature Framework.

Also, do you use the Skyrim Performance Monitor? It may show you somewhere else you may have an issue that is contributing to your slow down. It is available on the Nexus. Here is a shot of my play just a moment ago:

post-101267-0-45680000-1436981409_thumb.jpg

Try taking a look at any mods you have that routinely check the surroundings and see if the rate they check can be slowed down. I know that both Creature Framework and SexLab Werewolves were set to check every 5 seconds, I would set them to 30 seconds but now I just turn off the Aroused plugin for Creature Framework.

Also, do you use the Skyrim Performance Monitor? It may show you somewhere else you may have an issue that is contributing to your slow down. It is available on the Nexus. Here is a shot of my play just a moment ago:

attachicon.gifCapture`8.JPG

arousal plugin for creature framework? i don't have it unless it happens to come with the mod. and to the second suggestion i do but i just haven't come around installing it. afraid the monitor may contribute additional lag. 

attachicon.gifCapture`8.JPG

arousal plugin for creature framework? i don't have it unless it happens to come with the mod. and to the second suggestion i do but i just haven't come around installing it. afraid the monitor may contribute additional lag. 

Yes, it is part of the mod and lets it use Aroused to check and track animals. I shut it off, animals won't have erections while wandering around with it off but it stops it from checking every damn animal active in the area. The monitor program should not cause any issues unless you are at 100% usage on your cpu, otherwise it just monitors usage and is not part of the game itself but a stand alone program.

enblocal.ini? where is that located? i looked through your entire guide,and this wasn't mentioned anywhere. :\

i looked inside my skyrim main directory and documents. not a trace. nevermind i think it is this: 

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38649/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D38649&pUp=1

but i am already using HI algo boost. won't two of them conflict?

Phase 3 tells you where, how and what to tweak as far as ENB goes.

Yes, Hialgo Boost and ENBoost CAN be used together. However, it's a pain in the ass. 

What they do:
Hialgo Boost: Will cut the screen resolution during turns in order to keep FPS stable while turning

ENBoost: Allows you to access and use RAM not used by Skyrim and have it applied to VRAM instead of sitting idle. 

Of the two, ENBoost is the far superior option.

With an enb you can always turn off all the options and still get the benefits of ENBoost without most of the framerate draining effects. Just make sure to set the AA to 0 in the enb, everyone always turns it up to x16 on them.

That's why I told them to make sure they use "EnableSpeekHacksWithoutGraphics=true" :)

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=true             <---- Should be "False"
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=d3d9injFX.dll

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512        <---- try setting to 768 to see if that helps stuttering
VideoMemorySizeMb=0 // VRAM + RAM - 2048        <----- phase 3 in my guide tells you how to get the proper value for this (Method 2: Right click desktop, select screen resolution, look for Advanced Settings, enter the "Total Available Graphics Memory" value.)

EnableCompression=true
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=false
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=true             <---- should be "false"
EnableTransparencyAA=false

That's the problem with script heavy mods, and any mods, really. Changing them in the middle of a playthrough can cause crashes. 

Your best bet is to start a totally new game, and see if the issue persists. 

IF it persists, then your settings above aren't right or you've somehow gotten your hands on a corrupted texture or mesh. 

Other possibilities are not enough VRAM (Solved in the settings above, to a small degree). 

Archived