What was the first game(s) you ever played for PC (that you remember)?

polluxval

i remember maniac mansion. it was very difficult for a kid without any kwnoledge of english, but i, somehow, get the ending by reading a magazine. :P amazing game!

Indeed, amazing games.

I know how you feel. I'm not a native english speaker myself and those text input games from sierra were a real hurdle at the beginning for a 9 year old. But that's how I learned and it got me a head start, before english was even tought at school.

Guest Plastrader

But that's how I learned and it got me a head start, before english was even tought at school.

I was also learnt english this way, and I think games such as those is a great way of learning a language.

Sure in school you learn grammar and spelling.

But without context it's pretty much useless.

The term I'm referring to is "reading comprehension"

Reading books whilst learning a new language is good, but I think playing a game where you have to use your knowledge of the language is even better.

*now slowly drifting into rant mode*

But games of today?

"Pick up object"

"Kill thing"

"Jump here"

??

I R ROBOT!!

*rant off*

yo. i didnt even had english classes. even today, in my country there isnt any plan to add english class to any school, only paid schools teach english and they begin just a few years ago. so... i have to say, thanks movies and videogames for teaching me enclich. sori for my freanch.

1. Dune II (1992 version)

2. Duke Nukem

3. C & C 

4. Duke Nukem II

5.Command & Conquer: Red Alert

I am sure there were perhaps ones that I might have played in between these but they are the ones that stick out most in my memory.

For you older computer gamers, here is a trip down memory lane for the oldies but goldies of the 90's for PC games: http://acidcow.com/pics/17659-games-102-pics.html

How many can you name??????  :P

i used to work as a kid putting stuff on bags for customers on a supermarket (i dont know with wich name are know in other countries, here was "cerillos" and we didnt get paid, only the tips given by the customers), i got enough money in a year or some less to buy a pentium I pc on a "retail" store. i was cheated, they sold me a cyrix 686 pc with a pirated version of windows 95. oh well... this is mexico and nobody thought a kid will notice it.

This thread is seriously making me feel old lol... especially considering when I was a kid PC's didn't exist... cassette players didn't exist... arcade games didn't exist... no consoles either. We played pinball. Heck I got into tabletop games played with lead miniatures simulating historical battles before pc's of any kind came out. I do remember the early games though... I played the first pong boxes... had an intellivision console... an apple II. My first games played on computers were on mainframes... games like trek and rogue. Then eventually actual games like Zork and text based interactive fiction. the first computer I bought with my own money was a timex sinclair 1000 with 1 entire KB of ram (though I paid for the 16kb ram upgrade that was the size of your fist ).

So yeah, feeling a bit old at the moment lol...

Right there with ya Astymma!!!  I played with good old fashioned army-men as a kid.  I has somewhere around 5,000 soldiers and about a hundred vehicles by the time I quit playing with them.  Every Saturday since the age of 4, I would go to the store with my folks and blow my allowance on a bag of army-men.  Needless to say, my birthday and Christmas lists were pretty much MOAR army-men!!!!

In my teen years I got into models (assembling\painting\and all that jazz) but I lost interest within a couple of years.  The first computer my folks brought home:

300px-Apple_II_tranparent_800.png

Right there with ya Astymma!!!  I played with good old fashioned army-men as a kid.  I has somewhere around 5,000 soldiers and about a hundred vehicles by the time I quit playing with them.  Every Saturday since the age of 4, I would go to the store with my folks and blow my allowance on a bag of army-men.  Needless to say, my birthday and Christmas lists were pretty much MOAR army-men!!!!

In my teen years I got into models (assembling\painting\and all that jazz) but I lost interest within a couple of years.  The first computer my folks brought home:

300px-Apple_II_tranparent_800.png

hey greg post one more and you'll reach 10k posts

mmm... does anyone ever played mechwarrior 1 for DOS?

i really dont kwno why is that no other company ever tried to add the same features MW had, and im not talking about Armored Core (wich i love, by the way), MW had a magic i had never ever see in other game.

For me I think it had to have been Doom. Or was it Doom 2? Regardless, I was pretty young and I'd have to have my dad help me get through some parts of the game. I remember it being pretty scary for me back then.

Duke Nukem 3d.

Loved the taunts:

What are you? Some bottom-feeding, scum-sucking algae eater?

You're an inspiration for birth control.

Your face, your ass - what's the difference?

Nuke 'em 'till they glow, then shoot 'em in the dark!

Oh...your ass is grass and I've got the weed-whacker.

I just loved the one liners... I really didn't really play any other games in the 1990s.
At least on the PC. Console games are another story.

If you want to listen again to the various sound clips on a video clip. God I forgot many of the one liners. .. :) :) :) :) :D

Archived