Problems with downloads

Well my problem is, certain mod downloads give me some odd error about that the file i was downloading couldnt be read from the source, usually my download gets stuck at certain % and afterwards comes the error.

This isnt happening on all downloads though, but i have no clue what the cause is, it started to happen like 2-3 weeks ago.

I tried different browser too, but same happens everywhere, i wonder could this be related to my internet connection?

Edit: hmm upon further testing i have this problem only with attachments, link to other sites work.

• 3 weeks later...

try checking your hard drive for errors ... most people with this issue are on the virge of loosing their hard drive to corrupted data paths or blocks within their hard drive that are loosing their writting data transfer surfaces,  there are many reason for this to happen, sometimes its from exstended or over used hard drives that are working constantly for both gaming and O/S functions, other times it may be from excessife file transferring and storage usage, old age , or the new thing that has been going around here lately ... that would be the "No i purchased this hard drive new a few weeks to a few months ago ... trouble with that saying is early last year Thailand hard drive mfg companies "Samsung/Westerndigital,Mitsumi,HP,white label,Toshiba, and a few others were flooded out for nearly 8 months and the hard drives they had in stock were nuthing more then expensive paperweights, but a good 70% of those flooded HDDs were sold to US and European companys for recycling yet around 50% of those hard drives came up as unnaccounted for during the recycling. and there was a big stink about that in almost all the papers here in the USA ... they were showwing up at retail stores as "NEW" hard drives or sold on Ebay

Thank you GreyDeath for the tips, you might be actually right about the harddrive, lately i have been experiencing problems with it, although my hdd is of samsung brand i have it for about 10 years, so it might be the age instead of a defect product, since till now i havent had any problems with it.

Its strange though, because LL is the only site i have experienced to have this problem, this is actually the first time i ever had such a problem with downloading files, wierd.

on average i go through about 5 hard drives inabout 2 months time...that sounds high but keep in mind  i run a Hard drive for all of my games meaning one hard drive is slated for one game and nothing else, this isnt an option for many people especially when they have more then 6 games on their pc, I however have around 200 games and 7 pc's with NAS servers just for the games themselves in 4 4U cases devoted to my hard drives, so your looking at or about 260 hard drives total. so 5 a month isnt a big deal for me ... there are a couple things you can do to avoid your issues in the future... if you are like me whether you have 1 pc or many you can save your software and mods and everything you contain on your hard drives with a simple program called Icronis True Image....basically put you install games, your O/S your updates, your Drivers your pictures music Etc...etc...etc.. you get the picture, and when your satisfied with it then you install TRUE IMAGE from Icronis... now you know as well as i do , it can take 4-9 hours to set a pc up plain and simple...with this utility it takes about 2 hours tops

how? simple after you install Icronis you make basically an .ISO of your pc and when something like this happens you install a new Hard drive and format it, and then load it up with the .ISO you made from Icronis and your back in business

another thing and i'm sure i'm gonna get hit with a bunch of flak for saying this ....but Hard drive MFG's are a big thing to me i will take durability over speed any day if i can get the same speed as an SSD out of a Platter disk all the better,  now i cant get the same speed today as an SSD but SSD's have a fault that is slowly being fixed... they have great speed, and transfer both write and read and are miles ahead of platter type hard drives...but they lack durability, they are only rated for a certain ammount of writes before they start to loose information, and dont think you can get by with Defragmenting them, they are a different architecture and they dont respond well to defragmenting...they in this case become Scatter brained

For durability and speed for say an Opperating System hard with the speed of an SSD with the relyability of a platter drive i would look into a PCIE REVO HYBRID DRIVE just google it to see what i mean dont forget the "HYBRID"

they are spendy but ohh so worth it , for your data prone and high usage hard drives for say games i would look into the Western Digital Veloceraptor Hard drives either in a JBOD ={just a bunch of disks} setup or as a Raid 5 raid 10 setup

for movies and music especially if you are ripping them or just moving files alot look into the Executive/Enterprize series or BLACK Labels from western digital, for pictures and general files do the blue, Stay away for the most part on the Greens as they are the new thing as are the Red labels from Western digital products, they are set up for like those Throw away pc's that no one can work on because there are no user serviceable parts in them ...ohh what were they called again....hmmm ohh thats right Lap tops, PDA's, netbooks, tablets.....biggest waste of money IMO, they overheat, are subject to many of the worst drivers ever made partially because of every component in them are custom made, are supceptable to everything from coffee to falls from heights parts availability, and a big one they overheat way too easily and are a pain in the ass to make regular cleaning and service checks.....

uhhboy off on another of my regular tangents again i see....ok back on topic:

i recommend Western digital true all my dead hard drives are western digital hard drives ... but out of 260 or so Hard drive spanning back to 2001 of those that i go through are only the GREEN LABEL hard drives they others are excellent and they come with Western Digital DATA LIFEGUARD

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=605&sid=3&lang=en

which allows you to keep track of your hard drive info and the hard drive structure

for defragmenting and speed up your hard drive check into AUSLOGICS Disk DeFrag utility here as it is a world apart from what other defrag utilities can do .

This program can move your priority programs to the front of the hard drive and all of your less used programs to the back for a boost in your architecture speeds

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/

for checking of your background services and making sure your PC upto the task of running your games try PROCEXE it even allows you to find those ever evasive Memory leaks in system files and folders right down to memory transfer tables

http://download.cnet.com/Process-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10223605.html

on average i go through about 5 hard drives inabout 2 months time...that sounds high but keep in mind  i run a Hard drive for all of my games meaning one hard drive is slated for one game and nothing else, this isnt an option for many people especially when they have more then 6 games on their pc, I however have around 200 games and 7 pc's with NAS servers just for the games themselves in 4 4U cases devoted to my hard drives, so your looking at or about 260 hard drives total. so 5 a month isnt a big deal for me ... there are a couple things you can do to avoid your issues in the future... if you are like me whether you have 1 pc or many you can save your software and mods and everything you contain on your hard drives with a simple program called Icronis True Image....basically put you install games, your O/S your updates, your Drivers your pictures music Etc...etc...etc.. you get the picture, and when your satisfied with it then you install TRUE IMAGE from Icronis... now you know as well as i do , it can take 4-9 hours to set a pc up plain and simple...with this utility it takes about 2 hours tops

how? simple after you install Icronis you make basically an .ISO of your pc and when something like this happens you install a new Hard drive and format it, and then load it up with the .ISO you made from Icronis and your back in business

another thing and i'm sure i'm gonna get hit with a bunch of flak for saying this ....but Hard drive MFG's are a big thing to me i will take durability over speed any day if i can get the same speed as an SSD out of a Platter disk all the better,  now i cant get the same speed today as an SSD but SSD's have a fault that is slowly being fixed... they have great speed, and transfer both write and read and are miles ahead of platter type hard drives...but they lack durability, they are only rated for a certain ammount of writes before they start to loose information, and dont think you can get by with Defragmenting them, they are a different architecture and they dont respond well to defragmenting...they in this case become Scatter brained

For durability and speed for say an Opperating System hard with the speed of an SSD with the relyability of a platter drive i would look into a PCIE REVO HYBRID DRIVE just google it to see what i mean dont forget the "HYBRID"

they are spendy but ohh so worth it , for your data prone and high usage hard drives for say games i would look into the Western Digital Veloceraptor Hard drives either in a JBOD ={just a bunch of disks} setup or as a Raid 5 raid 10 setup

for movies and music especially if you are ripping them or just moving files alot look into the Executive/Enterprize series or BLACK Labels from western digital, for pictures and general files do the blue, Stay away for the most part on the Greens as they are the new thing as are the Red labels from Western digital products, they are set up for like those Throw away pc's that no one can work on because there are no user serviceable parts in them ...ohh what were they called again....hmmm ohh thats right Lap tops, PDA's, netbooks, tablets.....biggest waste of money IMO, they overheat, are subject to many of the worst drivers ever made partially because of every component in them are custom made, are supceptable to everything from coffee to falls from heights parts availability, and a big one they overheat way too easily and are a pain in the ass to make regular cleaning and service checks.....

uhhboy off on another of my regular tangents again i see....ok back on topic:

i recommend Western digital true all my dead hard drives are western digital hard drives ... but out of 260 or so Hard drive spanning back to 2001 of those that i go through are only the GREEN LABEL hard drives they others are excellent and they come with Western Digital DATA LIFEGUARD

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=605&sid=3&lang=en

which allows you to keep track of your hard drive info and the hard drive structure

for defragmenting and speed up your hard drive check into AUSLOGICS Disk DeFrag utility here as it is a world apart from what other defrag utilities can do .

This program can move your priority programs to the front of the hard drive and all of your less used programs to the back for a boost in your architecture speeds

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/

for checking of your background services and making sure your PC upto the task of running your games try PROCEXE it even allows you to find those ever evasive Memory leaks in system files and folders right down to memory transfer tables

http://download.cnet.com/Process-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10223605.html

Really thank you very much for taking the time with all the info and wow you sure have plenty of pc's/hdd's, are you a tester of hardware or something, cuz i dont think an average pc user would have that :P

I was thinking of getting a western digital hdd, just didnt got into the info more deeper, thanks to you i save some time into trying to figure out what to get.

Going to check out the softwares too, thanks again, your help is much appreciated.

Really thank you very much for taking the time with all the info and

wow you sure have plenty of pc's/hdd's, are you a tester of hardware or

something, cuz i dont think an average pc user would have that :P

I was thinking of getting a western digital hdd, just didnt got into

the info more deeper, thanks to you i save some time into trying to

figure out what to get.

Well i didn't start out with the idea of becoming this large : but one thing runs into another with me and then into another :

where to start  on an explination of who and why i do this :

LOL i originally started out in Anodizing and brite metal work custom paint applications and airbrush work on R/C Cars boats and planes

then a freind of mine passed me a pc case to see what i could do with it ...he loved it so much he sold 6 more cases without telling me and soaked up the proffit from that ordeal, "Telling me I like your cases so much i want one for each room " till one fatefull day one of my customers showwed up with one of his Cases.... anyways long story short I sold my cases for $250 he resold them for $400 and it got me to thinking that maybe i should look intodoing  PC cases rather then RC's so i set up a modding shop for PC's now i deal in Custom airbrush work, Clearcoats, Metal fabrication, Anodizing, Powder coating, CNC Milling, Water cooling, interior and exterior lighting, cable coverings,....that was the begining of my pc venture 12 years ago, now i Build custom PC's

Data network servers, website developement, hosting of Gaming indexes similar to what you know as the Nexus, but for like the old games like Tom Clancys Ghost Recon, GR.net,WestCoastAirbourneRangers.com,Blackfoot studios, thereplaycommittee.com,Punk Buster

built many mods and helped with quite a few games in both dev software and Graphics and system setups, worked with the Oregon lottery commision and did several works for their scratch its commercials, I do proposed software and graphic adjustments on prototype equipment that is to be developed for first time enterprises "Like for instance i just completed an Exhaust tip out of Stainless steel for the Porsche Caman that better suits the car rather then the round exhaust this is a Triangular dual exhaust with a wastegate in the middle giving the look of a tri exhaust, currenty the car is in California on photo shoot with Excellence magazine to that of building a getting properly licenced with Lucas Arts a life sized R2 unit fully remote controlled to a life sized also licenced Yoda. when i'm not doing that I am Gaming or working on a new Design for a gaming system. I also use it for photo storage of everything i have done for other people notes and what have you's . as for other needs If a customer brings in a pc for me to build or tweak I load all info onto a spare drive and work the bugs out before it goes into the customers rig... out of 10 years and selling on a global scale i have yet for one pc to come back to me have sold to Guam,Brazil,Canada,Germany,U.K., and am currently looking to set up a Website and online business to become a N.W. USA distributor of parts and services for P.C. modding, kinda of a cross between Performance-PCS.com and FrozenCPU.com but dealing with my line of componants, and parts purchased directly from the MFG. at their cost not Retail. which i would sell at their cost not retail, i do this for the enjoyment of doing it, and if i have the time ...i dont do it for someone else and let any errors go by the way side without addressing them first off. thats the whole point of working to me, you gotta do what you enjoy doing if you dont then that translates back to the customer and you the customer winds up with an average system and feelings of being taken advantage of. period.

business'es now adays dont show the moral eptness to back their products nor do they research or provide a quality part or product, I try to set myself apart for that by going over and above their standards to ensure a done right the first time, not the 2nd 3rd or 4th . and i can afford to do that, yeah its costs me more, but I do it for the customers not my pocket

Woah !

Its really cool to have such wide experience in many different things, makes ones view broader, plus you doing what you like to do, wich isnt so easy nowadays, but i do know the feeling as im trying also to do what i love, wich is drawing...although i cant say im that talented, im trying to make something out of it hehe.

If you set up your website, i will check it out for sure, wanna see especially the airbrush works!

Oh and btw the Auslogics disk utility is making wonders to my HDD, although i tried some defragment softwares, they werent so thorough with it.

i can do one better , feel free to paruse through my photobucket album: since i don't know if you have ever been on a photobucket account on the upper left of my main page you will see in the white area and to the far left at top written sideways is "Show Albums and Stories" just click that to see all the other albums i have in there , all together i have like 5k+ Pictures in this account and the other 3 of mine but this is my main account

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/XTREMEANODIZING/library/ANODIZING

some of the painted cases i have in one spot are located here

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/XTREMEANODIZING/library/PHOENIX%20CASE

and here : i have many pics yet to upload of painted works as this has been a slow post for me

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/XTREMEANODIZING/library/671%20FOKAI%20AUGELITE%20PC

Hehe yeah we kinda got offtopic, but it was a nice conversation...i enjoyed it :P

About the download, still the same even with a download manager, i simply gave up, its probably my internet connection, although as i said before, even if its pretty weak this never happened before, oh well :s

Not sure if this were the right place to suggest, but can we have the resume download feature implemented on LL download service? It seems now downloading a large  attachment prove to be a challenge as it were terminated prematurely many times with a low rate of success of actually finishing the said download session. Any thought?

It already is enabled.

In the meantime I"ll turn off dynamic download urls and the anti-leech system. Let me know if that helps any with people having troubles.

The SSD have software/firmware or the such that maintain the hard drive. They create "wear leveling" to help prevent premature failure. In extreme cases perhaps retail SSD's will die prematurely due to the write/rewrite issues. I have had one generic A-data brand 64 gig SSD for over a year using it as a Scratch Disk. I beat the hell out of it and it is still going strong. Damm I wish it would die then I can use the warranty to get a newer better one. :shy:

If mechanical hard drives are needed and reliablity is paramount enterprise level HD's are needed. They can handle the added work and stress and have longer life spans than that of a reqular hard drives. They are designed to operated 24/7/365 days a year.

WD Green Drives are not for most of the individuals that are on this site. They in my experience don't handle the stresses and needs of the "enthusist" or "gamer" they are slower and tend to fail more often for heaver uses. Don't get me wrong. They have a purpose and that is long term storage and use in a server to say stream movies and the such.

WD Blacks are my favorites in the WD lineup. Often cheeper that Enterprise editions and many times just as good for the normal user. I have never had a WD Black fail on me. I have had almost every other brand fail but WD Blacks have lasted for 3 to 5 years and have been "retired" for larger ones.

I use SSD's for almost all program/os needs exclusively. I don't need to defragment, work or maintain the drive after the OS has been configured to use them. (TRIM etc). I am currently using a Mechanical hard drive for gaming not because it is better but because it is larger and I can hold all my gaming stuff on that drive.

I don't worry about failure because I have semi regular backups.

Like another poster I also keep many of the "tasks" seperate on different drives. OS, Data, Gaming, Movies, Music and so on and soforth. If there is a group of files that have grown enought to need a dedicated drive I give them that drive. It makes for easier backing up and restoration. It is also less likely that I will loose all my data as well.

Some thoughts as well. I am not as heavy a user as some but I am friends with some individuals that have 2 to 10 computers. In their cases they even have computers that do specific work. Animation, Rendering, Video Editing. Photoshop etc. They slowly upgrade the computer and use the "hand me down parts" to upgrade the next oldest computer.

I have 4 computers and would be using all of them but need a proper power supply for one and a better case on another. I am getting the modding bug and might need to use one of them for a "Modding Computer"  with all the tools seperated from my "gaming computer" My single laptop can handle the email and social sites and finally the last computer (the weakest tower) would be the one that is used for centralized storage. :cool:

I know that this is off case but might still be useful for those individuals to see a different opinion and view point so that they can make informed decisions. :blush:

Not sure if spam or just a post in the wrong topic...

yeah you can put me in the same boat as ritualclarity, i too often have more then 5-10 pages open and respond where ever as well, I'll try to curb that as well from happening in the future ... but to add a point you have a good understanding of hard drives and their ute's its good to see others have delved into their uses and their faults ... cheers

Well my problem is, certain mod downloads give me some odd error about that the file i was downloading couldnt be read from the source, usually my download gets stuck at certain % and afterwards comes the error.

This isnt happening on all downloads though, but i have no clue what the cause is, it started to happen like 2-3 weeks ago.

I tried different browser too, but same happens everywhere, i wonder could this be related to my internet connection?

Edit: hmm upon further testing i have this problem only with attachments, link to other sites work.

So Remy did you figure out the solution to the problem yet?

Sadly not, this is the only website i have this problem with and i mean it, i might have a weak internet connection but i never had any problems at all with downloading anything..ever.

I used the auslogics boostspeed and disk defrag utilities and they havent found any problem with my disk.

Like i said before, this problem started after the website got updated, before that i never had a problem on the old LL.

I guess the site doesnt want me here for some reason. :mellow:

As said before, this problem started after the website got updated, before that i never had a problem on the old LL.

Sorry to hear that... I had a few times that the downloads were very very slow. It did improve later however. It also seems that hey are still working on the websight and it might get better for you later. I wish I could help you further but I just can't understand why your having problems with this web site. I hope that your able to figure / work it out...

As said before, this problem started after the website got updated, before that i never had a problem on the old LL.

Sorry to hear that... I had a few times that the downloads were very very slow. It did improve later however. It also seems that hey are still working on the websight and it might get better for you later. I wish I could help you further but I just can't understand why your having problems with this web site. I hope that your able to figure / work it out...

Thank you, yeah i wish i could figure out why is this happening, i would rather have a slow download then no download at all :s

Well all i can do is wait and see if its going to get solved....i sure hope it will :-/

Really not much I can say other than try clearing your browser cache, trying a different browser, or using a 3rd party downloader that enables resume.

Also try opening your browsers network tab and starting a download.

In chrome it's F12 to open it, then select Network.

In firefox its ctrl+shift+k, then disable everything except "Net" and "Logging"

Start the download your having problems with, then once it's failed, click the line it added to the console and it'll open a box with more details. Copy paste or screenshot all the details in that box.

It should look something like this:

chrome:

chrome.PNG

firefox:

firefox.PNG