Welcome to LoversLab
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Lovers Lab army continues to grow strong!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
223 replies to this topic

mosmos

mosmos

One of those HUGE breasts freaks ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
OH WOW
It was somewhere in the 10.000 when i join up
well if my shi**y brain remembers correctly :D

AdBot

AdBot
  • Advert

The Mad God

The Mad God

Lord of the Never-There

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts
It never ceases to amaze me how we continue to grow so exponentially. In about 15 months (that's how long loverslab has been up) we've reached 50,000 members. That's around 111 new members EVERYDAY! (15 x 30 = 450 ; 50,000/450 = 111.111111)! That's crazy! (not to mention all the guests that lurk the forums)

Congratulations!

nonusnomeni

nonusnomeni

omnipresent authority figure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,014 posts
today,
100 new members in 4 hours
:huh:

(Donkey)

(Donkey)
  • Guests

Lovers Lab army continues to grow strong!

And so does the spammers.. I think the best method to combat this is to prevent people who just regestred to be able to use the link in the posts, till after they made like 50 to 100 normal posts.

spammers will never say hello. But just make 1 post and adds and all crap in it..

Chase Roxand

Chase Roxand

Thing maker

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
That pnishes users who want to contribute. And spammers will just add spaces to get around it.

(Donkey)

(Donkey)
  • Guests
Not really. But if you don't do anything the spamm will continue like normal. Besides getting involved within the community takes little effort. And you will get to that post count pretty quick. It may look like punishments. But really it isn't.

In the mean time will make people more active.

prideslayer

prideslayer

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,986 posts

Not really. But if you don't do anything the spamm will continue like normal. Besides getting involved within the community takes little effort. And you will get to that post count pretty quick. It may look like punishments. But really it isn't.

In the mean time will make people more active.

Is this actually a problem? I haven't really seen any spam posts, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Forcing people to post will just result in crummy/nonsnese posts until they reach the threshold, if they want to post a link right away. Chase is also right anyway it won't stop spam, just clickable links in spam.

Stopping spam is about 90% quality captcha/turing test like "which one of these pictures is a dog" during signup, and 10% moderator/administrator effort chasing them down and banning them.

Chase Roxand

Chase Roxand

Thing maker

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
I've been to forums where they block using links. I've never stayed. Why would I sit around and force myself jack up my post count to share something? Tons of contributors only post their works and tech support for said works. Forcing them to increase their post count to do so is a major turn off.

However, they were also full of links that bypassed the ability to link, along with filters. Many of which were spammers and bots. Disabling (and filtering) links doesn't do anything. Hell, I moderate a massive forum where the staff spends half of their time deleting spam topics, despite filtering links. It doesn't stop anyone from spamming. It just makes the members pissy when they can't share a link easily.

The best way to deal with spam is to just delete it. Would you rather LL reduces spam a little or turn away twice as many new (posting) members?

(Donkey)

(Donkey)
  • Guests
fine.. i quite the bickering.. see ya.

Grumpf

Grumpf

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts
I feel the same about speedbumps... Don't punish everyone for some abusers, find another way...

Chase Roxand

Chase Roxand

Thing maker

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
I don't see how a discussion is "bickering", but okay.

Ashal

Ashal

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,336 posts
Anything that restricts people from sharing or getting to content is worse for us as a community than it is spam bots. It's restrictions like that that lead me to make LoversLab in the first place, a site WITHOUT those restrictions so nobody would be excluded. I will never ever implement that kind of thing, even despite the money it would save me with the constantly increasing bandwidth costs of hosting LoversLab x.x

That said, I have recently (yesterday) implemented a couple more anti-spam measures, that will hopefully at least cut back on the spam a little bit.

(Donkey)

(Donkey)
  • Guests
Sorry i brought this up. But i got sick when opening post and looked to late when i did not realised it contained spam. The real reason was once you open the page even though you did not click on the link your firewall will still show your pc tried to contact that page. And i was trying to prevent my pc for being target by spammers.

Spammers eventually leads to hackers etc..

Let me give an example. Someone make links to imageshare, yoo open the post so the image is loaded and your pc automaticcly contacts imageshare to view. But if a spammers place links and adds your pc will act the same way.

But if anti-spam will work only time will tell.

(Donkey)

(Donkey)
  • Guests
looks like the filter did not work much..

Grumpf

Grumpf

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts
Why is the dead woman on the left wear a bra? You don't need a bra to hide man nipples...

Also, do you my mother can make thousands of dollar working home?

Just kidding guys!

Keep up the good work Ashal, freedom has a price, albeit spam :(

Ofinfin

Ofinfin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
Actually, the best policy I saw was :

- a lot of moderators.
- a lot of people caring to press the report button.

And that's all... the price of success I guess. ;)

(Gandalf)

(Gandalf)
  • Guests
Well someones doing something right,i've only seen a few spam posts.
I don't know if anyone was familiar with SR3Nexus (no connection to nexus)i had to delete spam every day there,i was moderator.I kept asking them for help and i rarely received a reply from them.

Finally the place went offline and we had a lot of mods and modders for SR3 there,it was a huge bummer.

Riku20xx

Riku20xx

Bosh'tet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Well someones doing something right,i've only seen a few spam posts.
I don't know if anyone was familiar with SR3Nexus (no connection to nexus)i had to delete spam every day there,i was moderator.I kept asking them for help and i rarely received a reply from them.

Finally the place went offline and we had a lot of mods and modders for SR3 there,it was a huge bummer.

That place was a nightmare when it came to spammers. Horrible. And yeah, all of the awesome mods went down with it.

Anyway, I really like it here and hope that this place will continue to grow and get better.

Triratna

Triratna

Loverslab Jailbait

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
Our image thumbnail post features now gone. It's just me or loverslab has slowly degraded since last year.

I'm losing my mod presentation & posterity without it.

Chase Roxand

Chase Roxand

Thing maker

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Our image thumbnail post features now gone. It's just me or loverslab has slowly degraded since last year.

I'm losing my mod presentation & posterity without it.

Look here. LL hasn't degraded in the slightest. The feature had to be removed because LL is more active and the thumbnails are an unnecessary bandwidth drain. If you really need thumbnails, image hosts usually give them out with the links.