Introduction

Rough Times is my first attempt at a mod for Skyrim and a pretty terrible name for one at that. This isn't an adult mod in of itself, but I'm putting it here based on the requirements. At it's core, this mod will attempt to add a bit of flavor to the crime system in Skyrim without breaking anything. As the mod progresses, the main point will be making jail much harder on the PC both in cost for serving the sentence and with trying to escape jail.

post-70154-0-56207300-1361500347_thumb.jpg

What this Mod does

Not much at the moment. I'm calling it 1.0 because it seems to do everything I want it to at the moment without blowing my game up. This is primarily a proof of concept, using Zaz resources, and an attempt by myself to accomplish something worthwhile, at least to me, in the CK.

Anyways, when arrested, the PC will be bound and gagged and locked into their cell. You will have limited control over your player. You can either serve out your sentence or try and escape. For compatibility, Cidnha Mine is exempt from this.

If you serve your sentence, you will be released from prison still bound and have to talk to a someone to have them release you. At this moment in time, anyone non-hostile towards you will release you. You can also release yourself by using a forge and anvil (mainly those for testing). NOTE: The skyforge doesn't work for some reason, but I have personally tested the anvil in the front of Whiterun and the forges in Windhelm and that place north of Whiterun where you can craft those "moon weapons" (or whatever).

If you decide to escape, the same criteria apply. By design (but I may have forgot to add it back in, oh Well: WIP) if you get caught while bound, anything in your inventory will be gone (quest items aside) and you'll be tossed back in prison with no option to fast-talk or bribe your way out of it.

Oh, and if your bounty is over 10,000 gold for a hold, prepare for a bad end as all your gear goes "poof," and you're locked into a cage with no hope of escape (besides a reload). This is mainly for testing as I have other plans for this system.

Required

MastercChris's and Xaz's awesome animation pack, which made this little mod possible. You also need FNIS and any other requirements that mod has.

Installation
Rough Times - V1.2.rar

Unzip the archive and drop into your Data folder or use a mod manager. It's just an ESP, a few scripts, and the SEQ file because I was getting the dialog bug.

NOTE: I designed this mod to mess with vanilla assets as little as possible. Besides a modification to the guard's crime dialog and prison outfits, everything is pretty self contained and shouldn't mess your game up. That said, my over-reliance on script fragments might be an issue depending on how the CK handles naming/etc (I honestly don't know and google has failed me).

THAT SAID: You're downloading a first-timer's mod. Back up your save games and keep an idea on what you're copying to your install (no matter how little it is). Also, there are instances (intentional) where your hard-earned gear can disappear with no way to get it back. Everything else is recoverable if you know a few console commands.

Uninstall

I would make sure you don't have anything equipped or in your inventory that starts with CCRT, then remove all the files from your data directory. You guys are smart, you'll figure it out.

Current Bugs

1. The dialog doesn't differentiate between a guard or citizen releasing you.

2. The mod doesn't check to see if you're actually gagged, just if you have certain gear equipped. So, you may end up in a situation where you aren't gagged, but get the gagged dialog. More an immersion breaker than anything.

3. I don't know, likely more stuff I'm forgetting because I'm tired.

Future Plans

1. Refine the current build by adding dialog (likely stock), making the chains addition/removal cleaner, etc.

2. Add in some content while jailed. Likely to be related to the Zaz Animation Pack.

3. Change the way the PC is released from prison.

4. Dumping the PC off in random places depending on the circumstances.

5. A system to allow the PC to surrender to bandits/be robbed and/or kidnapped. (Originally was going to be in my first release but I'm too terrible with the CK to figure it out).

Feedback

Bug reports are more than welcome as well as constructive feedback. Ideas for expansion is great, but don't get mad if I ignore you. My main focus will be rounding out current content.

Of primary interest is situations (either vanilla or mods) that this mod breaks so I can either work around them and/or set as incompatible.

Old Versions

Rough Times - V1.0.zip

Use

Do whatever you want with this within the scope of the Zaz pack. Crediting me would be cool, just make sure that whatever you do, you credit MCC and Xaz because this POS wouldn't even be possible without their hard work.

Thanks

MastercChris and Xaz for all their hardwork compiling the animations and equips.

Voivode and Sbseed for listening to me bitch while I tried to figure this stuff out and for testing.

Jaam for his post about loading TES5Edit.

Update Log
V1.0 Beta -

First Release - 1/30/2013

V1.1 Beta - Some issue with the wrong ESP getting uploaded. Will fix.

Execution Chamber Online

Changed Execution Bounty from 10,000 gold to 25,000 gold.

Cleaned up some of the dialog pathing.

V1.2 Beta - Same as V1.1 except this version should... you know... actually work.

You can give your own name to all your script fragment files instead of letting them get lost in the morass of meaningless names that the CK defaults to creating. That makes it a lot easier to find and package ALL of them.

5. A system to allow the PC to surrender to bandits/be robbed and/or kidnapped. (Originally was going to be in my first release but I'm too terrible with the CK to figure it out).

I would make that a completely separate mod. It really doesn't relate to the rest so it would be better done separately.

Thanks guys. The current build leaves a lot of equip data showing up for debugging and it's pretty bereft on the details of what's going on. That said, I leave this mod running constantly looking for bugs and issues where the blocking dialog starts.

This was my primary motivation for releasing it now before cleanup. I really need people to tell me when and if this broke something. One of those issues is if the thug quest is running, you might have issues if you're currently bound (working on that with catch all dialog for the gag). However, certain blocking dialog overrides mine anyways, making it more immersion breaking than anything.

If you ever find yourself in a bad spot, "unequipall" is your friend. All the dialog hooks and scripts (namely Xaz's) are handled through the equips, not applied directly to the player. I should probably have stated this in the OP, but I got on a roll and forgot about it.

Ever since the crime mod over on the Nexus has been idling while Skyrim / SKSE has been updating' date=' it's pretty much defunct. Plus this sounds much more... interesting. Keep up the good work.

[/quote']CAP was my inspiration for this mod (as was the ZMCPlayerSlave for Oblivion with the "march of shame" to the jail) and I had plans to try and do something with it (primarily make it the basis for this mod), then I saw "Edit it for your own use. Do not copy into another mod" on the source files and nixed that idea.

You can give your own name to all your script fragment files instead of letting them get lost in the morass of meaningless names that the CK defaults to creating. That makes it a lot easier to find and package ALL of them.

That... would be a good idea. I originally was going to try that' date=' but the CK was throwing enough errors at me when trying to create the fragments in the first place: I was worried it might not take. That will likely be my next step. Thanks.

I would make that a completely separate mod. It really doesn't relate to the rest so it would be better done separately.
The thing is, besides getting the Forcegreet package to take, the entire thing is pretty much setup. This will also tie into the mod in a roundabout way in that I plan to implement a system where escaping prison marks you as a bandit, rather than just adding to your bounty. I like the idea, but getting it to work is the issue.

But it's so far on the back-burner anyways, it might end up as a separate mod like you suggest.

Briefly tried it out. Works great!

I definitely think adding content while in prison is great. It would be a shame to not utilize all those great assets provided by masterchris! I'm not sure how adult you're planning on making this mod, but even if you're not going too far in that direction some custom dialog would be awesome to 'flesh out' the experience. I can't vouch for others, but I always enjoy custom dialog in mods - it helps immensely with immersion. (Just from recent memory, the Sexout Breeders quests for New Vegas are a good example here. Simple, funny, but really great).

Like your idea about the PC slavery with bandits, surrendering, kidnapping, etc. Kinda like that other FNV Sexout mod that allowed you to yield (and get screwed). :)

I'm trying too to leanr how to create quest mods in Skyrim. Do you use the official Creation Kit?
Yes. This mod lacks any kind of actual quest at this point though. It's just 99% dialog and script fragments. If you decide to look through it in the CK' date=' everything important can be found by filtering with "CCRT."

I'm not sure how adult you're planning on making this mod, but even if you're not going too far in that direction some custom dialog would be awesome to 'flesh out' the experience.
I doubt I'll be implementing anything sex related anytime soon as those mods are pretty early in their development and I doubt I could implement the hooks anyways considering my (lack of) experience. There will be (hopefully) prison punishments depending on different factors that will permanently decrease skills (Such as a stint hanging from X animation would cost you 1 point in all weapon skills. Whipping might reduce your armor skill). I was going to reduce attributes, but that would be extremely punitive considering the way levels work in this game.

That said, an easy work around I was considering implementing as part of the "bad end" would be dumping the player character off into a hostile leveled area with no weapons or armor. If you had Sanguine's Debaunchery installed, that mod would basically take over from there without actually needing to link the mods. If you didn't have that mod.... better run before you die.

CaptainChaos thank you for this mod,i think its excellent and has a lot of potential,my character got arrested in morthal and was sent to jail,i like the way she was bound and gagged,when she was released talking to one of the guards removed her bindings and gag.very well done thank you

sounds great ! kudos for the work.

one idea: it always annoyed me that while we see death sentences ingame, our char can basically do whatever he wants and still ´just´serve jail time.

makes little sense in a middle-age environment where they used basically everything from torture to decapitation.

im not aiming to the latter, but for immersion especially if you play the assassin role, it would be great to have death sentence beside the hardened jail time you already start addressing.

cheers

What is the mods ?

If you're asking what the mod does: read the OP.

The TL;DR version is:

1. Install Mod

2. Get Arrested

3. Have Fun.

If you aren't forced to use the cuffed animation while imprisoned but have cuffs' date=' gag, collar equipped, then something (not this mod) is not installed correctly.

one idea: it always annoyed me that while we see death sentences ingame, our char can basically do whatever he wants and still ´just´serve jail time.

I have more than a few ideas for this.

1. If MCC gets his "hanging" animation working (as he's pretty busy with other things ATM), then that animation would play with a simple equip to cause a constant health drain.

2. I could create a cage overhanging a large drop, with only a door on the bottom. You choose when you fall to your death. Would work well with a survival and/or basic needs mod.

3. Lock the character in a room with 1 lockpick and 1 (or more) expert locks to pick through. While this is going on, have multiple soul stones constantly bombarding the player with fire spells (a whole new meaning for the "firing squad"). If you get out, well: there's more than enough guards waiting to kill you either way. Alternatively, the player cannot escape as they are bound during this.

It really depends on how sporting I want to be and how much my skills progress with the CK. That said, I hope to be implementing a sliding scale system. Basically, if you get caught with a sufficiently high bounty, you're going to die or end up in some dire situation I haven't thought of.

Basically, death isn't the end goal for this mod, but pretty much anything else that costs the player loads of time or even breaks the quest as you become an outlaw isn't out of the equation. Then again, time and talent are always in short supply for me.

1. If MCC gets his "hanging" animation working (as he's pretty busy with other things ATM)' date=' then that animation would play with a simple equip to cause a constant health drain.

2. I could create a cage overhanging a large drop, with only a door on the bottom. You choose when you fall to your death. Would work well with a survival and/or basic needs mod.

3. Lock the character in a room with 1 lockpick and 1 (or more) expert locks to pick through. While this is going on, have multiple soul stones constantly bombarding the player with fire spells (a whole new meaning for the "firing squad"). If you get out, well: there's more than enough guards waiting to kill you either way. Alternatively, the player cannot escape as they are bound during this.

It really depends on how sporting I want to be and how much my skills progress with the CK. That said, I hope to be implementing a sliding scale system. Basically, if you get caught with a sufficiently high bounty, you're going to die or end up in some dire situation I haven't thought of.

Basically, death isn't the end goal for this mod, but pretty much anything else that costs the player loads of time or even breaks the quest as you become an outlaw isn't out of the equation. Then again, time and talent are always in short supply for me.

[/quote']

I like you and your ideas a lot man.

I'm currently in the process of cleaning up dialog branches I messed up on earlier, that work now, but will likely cause issues as I revamp the way I'm handling said dialog. Also, I figured out markers and objectrefrences concerning them.

A bounty over 10k will land you in this area I threw together in about 10 minutes. The flameplates may get replaced, but it was the trap I knew I could get working in the least amount of time.  It works, so I'm likely going to focus on other things ATM like the bonds removal system cleanup and content addition. I may go ahead and release what I've got as 1.1 (or whatever) later this weekend, but no promises.

I'm currently in the process of cleaning up dialog branches I messed up on earlier, that work now, but will likely cause issues as I revamp the way I'm handling said dialog. Also, I figured out markers and objectrefrences concerning them. What does this mean?

The Execution Chamber is online.

A bounty over 10k will land you in this area I threw together in about 10 minutes. The flameplates may get replaced, but it was the trap I knew I could get working in the least amount of time.  It works, so I'm likely going to focus on other things ATM like the bonds removal system cleanup and content addition. I may go ahead and release what I've got as 1.1 (or whatever) later this weekend, but no promises.

Gotta see, really good stuff you're working on here. But could i suggest compatibility with quite an immersive mod?

Higher Bounties for Crimes

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11862

Its a good mod, and i am quite hesitant to remove it since one murder would result in execution. Hopefull you consider it. But nonetheless, you've got some good stuff going on here ;). Cheers mate/.

Problem:

Looping dialog, no walking to jail, or removal of gear.

Upon receiving a bounty, tested in Whiterun and Solitude, the guards looped their Dialogue over and over.

Dialog options:

>Youve caugth me, etc...

>I submit take me to jail

>Resist arrest

Upon submitting he just say the "You will rot in X dungeon" and then "whats the problem" appears as the only option, after which the arrest dialog options appear again. This loops...

I have no clue on any mods conflicting with this.

Problem:

Looping dialog, no walking to jail, or removal of gear.

Upon receiving a bounty, tested in Whiterun and Solitude, the guards looped their Dialogue over and over.

Dialog options:

>Youve caugth me, etc...

>I submit take me to jail

>Resist arrest

Upon submitting he just say the "You will rot in X dungeon" and then "whats the problem" appears as the only option, after which the arrest dialog options appear again. This loops...

I have no clue on any mods conflicting with this.

I have the same problem but don't have this mod loaded at all so it's a bug in the base Skyrim code and not with this mod.  And no, I have not found any way to fix it yet.