The EA Origins Discussion Thread

Are the benefits of Origins worth the infringement on your privacy?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are the benefits of Origins worth the infringement on your privacy?

• They Do
    • They Don't
    • Indifferent

**WARNING! THE FOLLOWING THREAD WILL DISTURB OR SEVERLY CHANGE YOUR OPINION ON EA AND OTHER MATTERS!! IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THEIR EULA OR YOU ARE COMPLETELY IGNORANT THEN PLEASE DON'T GO ANY FURTHER!**

Okay, so I'm sure some of you have heared of the horror that is EA Origins. If you are unfamiliar with what it is, Origins is pretty much EA's version of steam, only with EA games and is a "step up" from its download manager. It may seem convienient (sp? I'm tired) but be warned, Origins WILL be able to access and potentially view anything you do on your pc. Basically it will see what you do online and give you surveys or emails or of the like based on that info. If you were ever wondering why BF3 won't be on steam, well, that's because EA is forcing it on Origins!

So, my question to you guys is: Are the benefits of Origins worth the knowledge that EA can view anything on your pc, even illegal material so you may play exclusive games like BF3?

Why aren't more people in uproar about Origins? Is it because almost No one reads the EULA?

Me, i'm just glad that I have two pcs, a gaming desktop and a laptop with as much private data (and my pr0nz loolol) that I can keep private. Although not everyone has that luxury.

Noone should be able to acces my private data, be it EA, be it Google, be it anyone else. I'd rather live without BF3 than have them look through my PC. I'm getting more than enough of how the basic rigts of freedom are being trampled upon in my country more and more, and i sure as hell don't want to have to deal with this on the internet too.

"If you've got nothing to hide, you've nothing to worry about..."

Tregarin, I'm fairly certain that you were saying that in dark humour.

If so, then you got the nail right on the head. That has ever been the excuse used by every police state in existence. Calvin's Geneva, Knox's Scotland, Cromwell's England, Stalin's Russia to name but a few.

The only difference is the jackboot isn't needed to kick your door in, as they already have everything they need on you. Do I trust Corporations any more than any Government? Nah!

If this is what EA have to offer then I'm not buying. I find Steam both annoying and invasive enough thanks.

EA and Activision are in a competition to see who can become worst / most evil video game company first. EA was great when they were small...they are garbage now...their only saving grace is Battlefield 3 but even then....I won't be paying full price for it, I made that mistake with Crysis 2 (don't get me wrong, great game but worth $60? Not really....no game is worth it for $60 IMO). Also this Origin thing is bullshit and I definitely won't be using it.

Steam is the best download manager out there and it will stay that way. Hopefully EA loses sales over this...but I doubt it, a lot of people are stupid and ignorant and can't think for themselves.

Ahhh man' date=' this is just nasty.

Thanks for giving me a heads up about this because I was planning on getting BF 3 because I wanted to play with friends. Now I'm going to have to pass on this one.

[/quote']

Np. However i'm also sorry that this is going to make you not play BF3. It's probably going to be good, but it's a damn shame scumbags like EA are trying to force us to use their shit and infringe on our rights in order for us to play the games we want to play. I cringe everytime I hear EA or its evil logo. Oh well, there will be better games to come.

We talked about it somewhat over here I think on page 10 or 11 for a bit. For the most part what Origin/EA is trying to pull is illegal pretty much everywhere in the world. And if you're in the US, it's pretty much on a state-by-state basis.

But anything that's "always on" is going to fail hard unless they're willing to pick up some of the cost of your internet connection IMO.

We talked about it somewhat over here I think on page 10 or 11 for a bit. For the most part what Origin/EA is trying to pull is illegal pretty much everywhere in the world. And if you're in the US' date=' it's pretty much on a state-by-state basis.

But anything that's "always on" is going to fail hard unless they're willing to pick up some of the cost of your internet connection IMO.

[/quote']

I saw that earlier, although in that case the EULA had an almost opposite purpose.

You're right, it is illegal, but I doubt anything will be done, considering all of the mindless gamers who will blindly subject themselves to this, and if anyone ever does bring this to court, EA will have every lawyer under their command at their disposal to destroy any opposition, and I'm sure there will be some sort of bribing or behind-closed-doors thing going on here so that people will stay quiet or so that nothing ever is done. The USA government is corrupt and filled with greedy people and waving a bit of money will get them cooperating.

You can't sue them though. Since they recently updated it to say that you can't bring class-action lawsuits against them. And that you both waive your rights to a trial by jury, something that is guaranteed in the US constitution(7th amendment).

Yeah, I doubt Origin's EULA will hold up anywhere in the US with that little piece of text.

"If you've got nothing to hide' date=' you've nothing to worry about..." [/quote']

Tregarin, I'm fairly certain that you were saying that in dark humour.

Yup... I should've said something afterwards to get that across really. :P

It's ok. I took it that way. Just added the opening, just in case. To me governments and corporations are just another way for human beings to stamp out freedom of thought and expression no matter what pious claptrap they use to disguise their true intent.

The trouble with having an interest in history for me, is that you know it's all been done before in so many different ways. As in the past though, the powers that be had better be very careful as the backlash can be a real bitch.

You can't sue them though. Since they recently updated it to say that you can't bring class-action lawsuits against them. And that you both waive your rights to a trial by jury' date=' something that is guaranteed in the US constitution(7th amendment).

Yeah, I doubt Origin's EULA will hold up anywhere in the US with that little piece of text.

[/quote']

Urgh, fuck the fine print! Where the fuck are our rights? Am I still living in the United States of America? cause I'm not sure.

You can't sue them though. Since they recently updated it to say that you can't bring class-action lawsuits against them. And that you both waive your rights to a trial by jury' date=' something that is guaranteed in the US constitution(7th amendment).

[/quote']

Urgh, fuck the fine print! Where the fuck are our rights? Am I still living in the United States of America? cause I'm not sure.

Citizens of USA lost their rights a long time before EA origin ever came along.

[/quote']

Citizens of USA lost their rights a long time before EA origin ever came along.

:/

Yeah, I guess your right. Maybe I should move. Do people speak French in Switzerland?

:/

Yeah' date=' I guess your right. Maybe I should move. Do people speak French in Switzerland?

[/quote']Yeah. But to become a citizen of switzerland is nearly impossible. You're better off going to Holland.

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up.

Looking at the poll so far I'm kind of surprised, everyone so far is in agreement that the exclusive games do not outweigh the fact that origins is able to view your stuff. Maybe I worded my OP too harshly?

After all, aren't we monitored by certain programs already? Facebook, twitter, myspace, steam etc.

I don't know if I'm paranoid or what, but maybe you guys are hiding stuffzorz on your comps that musn't be seen by others? I'm not accusing, but the negative response is kind of alarming, every other board I've been to had a mixed bag of responses and opinions (although some are filled with trolls and idiots).

It's probably not going to happen that EA people are going to pinpoint your comp and go see what you do there for their enjoyment. You installed our program? Cool, now go play some BF3 while we suck in more customers.

I don't know, I don't like the idea yet I highly doubt it's going to personally going to have an effect on individuals, they're probably too busy running a business to care about what someone does, all they're going to do is send you surveys and stuff? Or maybe something more...

Another thing: What if ME3 for the PC required Origins, would you still not get it?

I don't really have anything hidden on my computer...unless you count the nude pics I have taken from my Oblivion characters and what not but really who DOESN'T have nudy pics on their computer? Even still privacy should always be given, game companies should not be able to take it away because they feel like it. It doesn't matter if you don't have anything on your computer, the fact that it scans your files at all is the problem. EA doesn't need to know and doesn't have the right to see what you have on your computer and neither does anyone else.

I don't really have anything hidden on my computer...unless you count the nude pics I have taken from my Oblivion characters and what not but really who DOESN'T have nudy pics on their computer? Even still privacy should always be given' date=' game companies should not be able to take it away because they feel like it. It doesn't matter if you don't have anything on your computer, the fact that it scans your files at all is the problem. EA doesn't need to know and doesn't have the right to see what you have on your computer and neither does anyone else.

[/quote']

Hmm, but who exactly sees it? Could it just be computers scanning stuff and then send surveys or whatever loosely based on certain things they found?

Well, it can be just for surveys, but remember that certain companies (ehm, Google, ehm) are gathering information and it never gets erased. So they get information on you now, and nothing happens. But then, after a few years, when the world becomes even more screwed up, noone will stop them from using it against you.