BSOD only with Steam games

Spyder Arachnid

So this has been an issue ever since I started using Steam. Note, I have always hated Steam and don't want anything to do with it. Yet in order to play Skyrim, I have to have it.

So I have Skyrim and Fallout 3 on Steam. The only two games I own that are connected to Steam.

Currently I also have Sims 3, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Guild Wars 2, and several other games not connected to Steam.

Yet whenever I play Fallout 3 or Skyrim, after about an hour or so, my computer completely locks up and shuts down. When I restart, I get a message saying my computer blue screened from an unknown cause. This happens every time I play any game that uses Steam only.

All of my other games that are not connected to Steam (see above), have no issues whatsoever. I have never crashed with them or had any blue screen issues.

It is only with Steam games. Why is this? I am completely baffled as to what is causing this.

I check google to see if I could find answers, and everyone just kept blaming drivers for the issue. But if it was drivers, then why don't my other games that are not connected to Steam cause this same issue? It is only Steam games that cause this blue screen. So how is that a driver issue?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

While you do post "some" information, you have not presented us with enough to do anything more than sympathize with you.

If you really want help then you need to:

1. Post system specs (graphics card model number and memory type\size, CPU model and speed, RAM type and amount, Power supply model, what type of case cooling do you have and what type of monitoring system do you use for it, sound card model, Hard drive type\speed\free space).

2. Post driver versions for above specs (mainly graphics and sound for this)

3. Post OS version and bit (32 or 64).

4. Post the code displayed on the blue screen event.

5. Post what modifications to that game you have installed.

6. Post where you installed steam to (did you install it to the default program files directory - if so this could be part of the problem if you are running Vista or higher).

The above type of information will allow us to get a handle on what is happening. One thing I will say, is Skyrim is far more system intensive than any of the games you listed that you don't have through steam, so that could be part of the problem.

This is most likely not Steam as Steam is really a DOWNLOAD MANAGER.

It could be your drivers causing the issue as not all the functions of the driver are called on during use.

Your computer could be over heating as Fallout 3 and Skyrim are both resource hungry game, especially if your computer is not up to the challenge of handling it.

Your graphics card may not be supported. When I was playing Star Trek Online my GPU was support and then after a update it no longer was, got a hour of play followed by bluescreen.

I got a new GPU as mine was dated and never had a issue after that.

Greg did miss one thing though. Virus, a virus which has been programmed to attack Steam installs.

Here's the information to the best of my knowledge. It's a factory built PC, not a custom Rig. So it doesn't have all that fancy stuff.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5500 @2.80GHZ 2.80GHZ

64 Bit Operating System

4GB Ram

NVidia GeForce GT 430

NVidia High Definition Audio

All the drivers are as up to date as they could be. I actually did all that last night to make sure they weren't outdated or anything and they are all up to date.

I checked http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri to see if my computer passed the requirements for Fallout 3 and for Skyrim, and it does.

I noticed it doesn't happen that often in Skyrim. Only seem to get it occasionally when in a Heartfire house. But it happens constantly in Fallout 3.

As for mods with Fallout 3, don't have much at the moment. Just some interface mods and these:

Pipboy Readius: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/12144

GFWL Disabler: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/1086

ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/944

MTUI: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/43

LAA Enabler: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/6510

The Bluescreen error changes a lot. It isn't always the same, but next time I play, I'll write down the error message.

As for Steam, yes it is installed to Program Files (x86) and Skyrim and Fallout 3 are installed into the Steam Directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\). Seems kind of odd that it would cause issues being installed to its default location though. Why would it make that the default if it is going to cause issues?

Don't believe it to be a virus, as my system is clean. Did a scan just the other day and running the full version of Avast. Haven't ever had any issues with Viruses as Firefox usually blocks anything that tries to get through and if it misses anything, Avast catches it.

As you mention Skyrim is much more system intensive, I barely have this issue with Skyrim. It happens every now and then, but rarely. It is with Fallout 3 that I get this almost every hour. Only reason I mentioned both is cause it is only these two games that cause this.

Hope this information helps, as I'm not sure what else to provide.

So here is the information I got from my first BSOD today. Just happened.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA80043734E0

BCP2: FFFFF8800FCF9630

BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A

BCP4: 0000000000000004

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

And that's the only information it gives me.

Did a search on your videacard it's a low budget series that i dont think is being developed anymore (cant really say for sure) although i myself have the GT 220 and run Fallout 3/New Vegas fine (on medium with 30 FPS)

I'd also like to note that Steam says on the Fallout 3 store page that the game isn't optimized for win7 and Fallout 3 only uses 2 GB of RAM cause it's a 32-bit application and if it runs over this it will run slow or just crash!

But you seem to run a patch for that!

Also you SHOULDN'T have installed Steam in program files in conflict with the UAC which is recommended to leave on for most people!

For Skyrim iam not completely sure

Since you have a dual core and such a videocard at which settings are you running these games?

A lastly don't completely rely on CanYouRunIt, When it comes to Graphics cards it looks at a few value and says "ok" but it doesn't count in that some developers make their games more compatible with either AMD or NVIDIA.

As Deathparade said, you should not have steam in the default install location (program files directory) if you intend to install modifications. As was stated you will fight UAC and permissions issues forever.

Best thing to do is move steam. You can do it without having to uninstall or reinstall anything: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Be aware that Fallout 3 is an older game and was never very stable to begin with.

I recommend grabbing the fallout mod manager: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/640 and the Unofficial Fallout patch: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/3808

You may need to back your settings down to medium and turn off shadows and such since you have a mid range\budget video card. You should also look into some type of heat monitoring software just to see if you have a heat issue (internal hardware gets too hot and bam BOSD).

Seems kind of odd that it would cause issues being installed to its default location though. Why would it make that the default if it is going to cause issues?

Sadly, because these days, the default install location is for the casual gamer who might as well have a console and certainly isn't going to install mods. It'll work fine for such a player, but is no good for you.

General rule of thumb. Always try to install a game you intend to mod somewhere you have decided. For example, I have Fallout3 in e:\Fallout3, not the default install suggestion. Many use c:\Games\Skyrim.

Blame Mr Gates! (grin).

Okay so I moved Steam and everything to a whole new area. It is no longer in Program Files (x86), and it is now on F:\Steam (A whole drive dedicated to it). Not a removable drive, just another regular drive.

Updated all my game files and checked the integrity of them and got that all solved. Relinked NMM and FMM to the new directories as well. (yes, already using the FMM but thanks anyways). Not using the Unofficial Patch at the moment, cause wanted to just play the game regularly before I start heavily modding it up.

I already run Skyrim at Medium settings with several things lowered like shadows and reflections. Run Fallout 3 at Medium settings as well, with the same things lowered down. I don't experience any fps loss or anything in either games.

But I gave this new setup a try just now, and within about 15-20 minutes, got the same BSOD again in Fallout 3.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA8003BFC010

BCP2: FFFFF8800FD31630

BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A

BCP4: 0000000000000004

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Unsure what else to check on. Guess I'll just start with the heat monitor thing next and try it yet again.

EDIT: So tried something else, and unchecked the "Run as Administrator" box. Haven't had any BSOD yet, so there's that at least. Figured I'd give it more of a run later and see how it goes.

With the game out of the program files directory you should now longer need the run as admin deal. Let us know if that helps and if heat may be a factor. If you are crashing 15-20 minutes into the deal then I am thinking heat is not the issue unless you already had your computer under load.

Well I haven't BSOD'd anymore since, so that's one upside.

But I finally completed the main storyline and just said "I'm done" and uninstalled it. It was way too much of a hassle to go through all that and didn't want to test the waters anymore on what will and will not cause it to fall apart.

So I moved on to New Vegas, and now I'm having completely new problems! Joy. Posted over there about it since it seemed more suited there.

But thanks for your help all. I really appreciate it. :)

Archived