Do you agree with certain forum's mod sharing policy?

Do you think a modder should have a say on how their mod is distrubitued and used?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a modder should have a say on how their mod is distrubitued and used?

• Modders should have right to control
    • Once a mod is on the internet, it is free for all.
    • I don't care.

I agree with legit and loogie and have read somewhere about the EULA thing...something to do with that fact that mods are made with the cs or oblivion vanilla cotent...the game etc.

I voted for on the net it belongs to everybody...which is what i believe because it's true,I could make something and release it, the moment i do i know that it is everyones now,even so there are 3 rules i believe everybody should respect

1: give credit to any and all authors of any material,not of your own creation used in the mod.

2: don't claim others stuff as your own,it will be know eventually,you will look like an ass and the og modder may leave the scene

3: don't try to make money off peoples work,it's freakin uncool...and illegal

Well the big thing that I see these days is that a lot of mods are ripped of other peoples work. The original work in most times is released free of charge, usually with disclaimers and the usual types of stuff that would fall under the standard GPL clauses or copyleft. No charge, and use, but no charge. What bothers me is when someone gets bent out of shape, and decides to charge, based on someone else's work for something as silly as a texture recolour. But does not pass along any of what they've already made to the author. To me that's down right thievery.

I kinda speak as mod author past too, when people blatantly ripped my stuff without accreditation and used it claiming it to be their own. Now it's not hard to write scripts, it's harder to sequence events. It's much harder to do up textures, and meshes and things like that and luckily at the time my sister did a bunch of mesh work before it pissed her off to no end and said "never again".

In most places charging for mods, even original work is illegal because the toolset and engine prohibit profiting off either one as a commercial enterprise. Even then if someone decides to block their mod because they not getting enough donations, someone will leak it. If they IP ban regions, someone will VPN in, and it will get posted outside of that closed circle eventually anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Do you agree or disagree on certain forum, restricting the sharing of mods?

1a. It's their choice, I'm not going to give them grief if it's private or public.

2. If the mod is original creation, does the modder have the right to control distrubition?

2a. Depends on the type of mod, if it edits the original content of the game then the true credit should go to the company that created the game as well as the person who edited it. The modder does have the right to control distrubition, though the moment you share something over the internet, your ability to control it is out of your hands. If you share something over the internet it will very likely be out of your control on what happens to it.

3. If the mod is a recolor or a modification of an existing mod, does the editor have a right to control distrubition?

3a. It depends on the author and mod they edited in the first place, if the original author wants there stuff to be shared, then the person who edits that mod should respect the original creators rules and base their decision off that.

4. How about people that only post picture, or gif, then disappear without a word?

4a. I don't care, if they want to show pictures I don't care. This whole one uping each other system is pointless to me, if a person posts a picture but doesn't share, I'm not going to nag them to share it, infact I probably wouldn't even notice nor desire the thing they're showing off. If they disapear thats their business.

5. And what is your opinion on forum that requires "points" and "gold" to "buy" download, and the way to earn said Point are by posting.

Should people be forced to participate in order to get the goods?

5a. If people are editing a game and then forcing you to pay fake money for edited content, thats their choice and you really can't do much about it.

I reckon if the modder has shown no interest in a mod after a period of time, at least a year, it should become free for all for non-commercial usage.

Hey're only pixels and to still restrict others from making better usage of them nion-commercially 50years later is insane.

There are instances of mods that can be improved or upgraded to suit updates & DLC that can't bedone because the original modder has left.

For me the bottom line is this: Do not piss off the people who are working very hard doing really cool stuff, free of charge.

The best you can hope for is that they say "this isn't fun anymore" and go do something else.

The worst case is where you get a once vibrant community slowly stagnating, either from too many rules, or from too much in-fighting among the devs.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many reason's besides infringement, I have never mined some one using things from My Mod's as far as script, even Item's, so long as they change things in such a way as My Mod does not conflict with there's... If there not capable of that, then they should not be Modding.

I have seen my script's and dialog in other peoples mods, yet, never did I see credit. But I am use to that.

No one want to say they played one of Gagats mods.

I translate mods a lot, but if I see some one else is translating the same Mod, I may finish My translation for my self, but I will never publish it.

Here is the thing :::

Example: We have a mod named Mod.

Now its a pretty good mod, but someone else decides that they don't like the wording, its too dirty, or not dirty enough. or there are parts of it they think they can do better.

So they take the mod, and re do it.. then they post it back up with the same name Mod.

now there are a few problem's with Mod, they missed a few things that were hard to see that the original Modder did with good reason..

But the Player does not come to the person who re did the mod, because the name is Mod, and they know who made mod, so they go to the source.. Hey you, Mod maker your mod, Mod is fucked up they say.

So the modder goes through the mod countless times..trying to find and error that does not exist in Mod, because the error is In Mod, and not Mod.

Some one else comes along, and try's to fix Mod two.. then posts it again with the same name.

this can, and has happened a lot.

Another Problem::

Now here again, someone takes Mod, and changes Mod to a new name, its now called Modded.. There that fixed the problem.

No now you have 2 mod's that no one knows are different... what happens when you try to run both... Big mess.

I have worked on some of My mod's for year's starting with earlier mods that I learned with..till I feel confident to try and make what I really want to make.

Idea's first,, then a story, many considerations on just how I can make all this happen. I start at some point to gather all the little Scripting Idea's together, then produce what ever I feel like I need in Graphic's. to finally do what I want.

Then spend countless Hour's playing through the game, finding error's and going back into the editor to fix them..time and again I will play the mod, until..I am truly sick of constantly repeating these same things over, and over again.

Just to make a Mod, that I hope, maybe someone Else will enjoy.. Because the pleasure in the mod is far gone to me.

The only hope I have for all my effort is that someone some where will tell me they liked it.. that's it. That is all I get.

Now after I build the thing and put all this time into it.. and effort. You still feel like you should be able to do what ever you wish with it.. Re publish it, and take away all the work I did, claim it for your self, and get many pats on the back for a job well done.

And that small hope that I might get. it is gone...

It is easy to drive a car that is already built.. But try to build one first, from scratch, and drive it.

Galgat, you raise some really good points that I do agree with and if people would comply with them, there would never be any issues. :)

You and many other modders out there have always been extremely friendly, helpful and share not only parts of your mod but what is even better: is the sharing of the knowledge you have gained through making your mods. Again if every modder out there was like you in this regard there never would be any issues. :)

Sadly there are modders who are on the opposite extreme from you, who won't share their mods or knowledge and treat others poorly. As they say it just takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch.

I have been selfish on the dialog thing, It is just that so many people pick at my dialog, all the time..

I do go extreme, and I do that because No one Else would. And It was and area of modding that I could tackle, and have a little spot where My mods could be different from others. Because of the prudish statements like, "I would like this if it did not mention this." or "Its okay, but I could do with out that.", or "would it be okay if I re did your mod, and cleaned up all the objectionable text, so other people who did not like that, could enjoy it too."

I am sort of sticky on this, these thing really touch a sore spot.

When I started Modding everyone was doing the "I love you honey".."Oh your so sweet", "Pretty please would you have sex with me"... "Awe..Kissy Kissy".. I got sick trying to play some of them...LOL

Adult Mods have majorly improved..there just fantasy after all.. I would not want, or have the stuff in these mods happen to anyone.. it's way to over the top...and would be sickO in real life... But here it is just kind of goofy.. and fun to imagine.

Some of these new console games I see have worse stuff than I do... I was watching my cousin play one the other day talking about jacking off and everything else on it.. there pretty crude some of them.

another one I watched him play they beat up and killed the Girl's, and rape was sugestive, a lot..

I don't play console games, so I don't remember the games..But some of you may have seen them.

In One Way I See Where Some Modders Dont Like Their Mod,s Being Modded Without

Their Permission Its Their Work After All ...

But On The Other Hand When A Mod Has Been Uploaded To Any Site In A Way

Its In The Open And It Will Be Changed By Other People And Quiet Often Improved ..

Anything I make and make public is free for all. Once it's released into the wild it's gone.

Occasionally I catch myself thinking uncharitably and here are a few of my reasons for not being bothered who (except the puritans of course) gets my work, or what they do with it.

"It's my art".

I can understand why people forget that they have built their little edifice very largely on other people's foundations. It takes hours, days, weeks to realise your ideas, and that effort cries out for recognition, and acknowledgement. But I try never to forget that I'm still a midget perched on the giant shoulders of all those whose work I'm using. Perhaps those who do get territorial about their efforts should reconsider the debt they owe to others.

If I genuinely have introduced an original bit of art or craft, then fine, credit me, but I've chucked it out to the community at large, not licensed it to them, or lent it to them with provisos. And I'm not about to take it back if you hurt my feelings.

"Someone has mucked about with my mod".

Hmmm. There's an oxymoron in there somewhere.

If I give something to a forum of modders, (many of whom will be better skilled in one area or another than me), I'd be a bit naive not to expect them to muck about with it and pretty childish to complain if they did. Especially if, (as is invariably the case), the mod is somewhat less than perfect to start with. I'd rather show a bit of humility if it turns out my work isn't as great as wot I thought than lash out with wounded pride.

It may rankle if people prefer someone else's "improved version", but not much. On the whole I'd rather not get precious about my stuff, but actively encourage people to adapt or improve it. Variety is the spice of life.

"People are easily confused"

Not really my problem. I put out a resource that works fine in my game. If others find it entertaining or useful great. If they have questions, I'll give what knowledge I've got. If it's a problem that someone else has introduced I'll gesticulate in that person's general direction.

With big mods some sort of configuration control seems to be in order, rather than getting het up about the proliferation of variants, annoying as that might be. Perhaps if it became the norm for people to affix a tag and date...or something.....

"They haven't earned my mod"

I don't have any sympathy with people who try to restrict access to a privileged few.

As a creator that would not amuse me, in fact it would shame me.

By all means protect our endeavours from the malign forces that think that any sexually oriented activity is evil, but don't set up possessive little cliques - that's what mediocre people do when they want to feel superior. We should thank the higher authorities that LL has a fairly open policy and look more in pity than in anger at those poor benighted souls that suffer in another place.

I hope nobody on LL thinks that I am knocking them. I have the greatest gratitude and respect for everyone's efforts here. But artists are notoriously touchy so I'd better make that plain.

Anyway, that's my twopennyworth.

I didn't vote or anything, but in the vein of rights management, have our modders considered distributing mods under the Creative Commons License? They can be as loose as "freely distribute as long as the original license is distributed" to "only distribute if original author has permission". And each mod can just contain the appropriate license type.

In other words, the legal mumbo jumbo is mostly taken care of for the mod creator and its distribution rights are clearly understood in a few simple words. I don't see any reason why modders can't adopt this type of licensing unless the legal rights to the original material is questionable.

I guess that's the crux of it -- game modding will always have legal grey areas since modding the game comes with software "licensing agreements" that are impossible to understand.

In the end if you don't like it and want to be an idiot' date=' trolling pics of your work while going "IT'S PRIVATE FOR ME AND MY FRIENDS ONLY! MY PRECIOUS!" you can, frankly, shove your mod up your ass.

There are plenty of modders who don't have this smarmy, self entitled attitude.

[/quote']

Thanks leddis3. That made me laugh so hard I shot hot coffee out of my nose. I pictured Gollum sitting there at the ConSet with his newest mod "My precious".

Nice. Perfect analogy!