Clothing Bodytype Converter V.5.0 (12.24.2013)

gerra6

Notice

This project has largely been replaced by the new Standalone Clothing Bodystyle Converter.  Feel free to continue using this version, however the quality and capabilities of the stand-alone converter now exceed this tool's abilities by a considerable margin.

The goal of this script is simple. Automatically generate permanent lattices that can quickly and easily convert clothing from one body style to another.

The latest version comes with significant improvements to quality, functionality, and performance.

Version 5.0

Major Changes:

1. UV Searh Tool. This is the biggest change. This produces extremely high quality lattices when both the source and the destination meshes use the same texture. Quality of results depends on quality of UV maps for both meshes.

2. Improved vertex search. The back-end search functionality has been overhauled and now provides significantly better performance and quality.

3. Improved vertex selection options. It is now possible to generate a full size lattice that selectively and smoothly affects only a portion of the the meshes. A tutorial on using this feature will be added to the 'Blender Scripts' post.

What the hell is a lattice.  Why do I want one? What exactly does this tool do?

Lattices are incredibly powerful modifiers that can be used to morph meshes in myriad ways.

The most common use is to convert clothing.  Once you have a lattice that can convert one body style to another, that same lattice can be applied to any clothing for the first body style and convert it into the second.

Lattices can also be used to morph meshes in interesting and creative ways.  Many of the settings on the Lattice Generator are designed to allow you to create interesting and unusual morphs.

Unfortunately, lattices are extremely tedious to work with and modify directly.  

This tool largely automates the process of generating and modifying lattices, outlined in this armor conversion tutorial

Completely Absurd Examples

#1 Converting from HGEC A Cup to the infamous Manga Mega Cup

Before

post-20327-13597880562138_thumb.png post-20327-13597880563289_thumb.png

Settings

post-20327-13597880564171_thumb.png post-20327-1359788056518_thumb.png

Result

post-20327-13597880566458_thumb.png

Not Good Enough? Fine.

Apply the first lattice and generate a second lattice.

Settings for Lattice # 2

Final Result

#2 Converting from DMRA to GUTS

Before:

a52f9be6a667889993b7d8bdad92341e2826f3d9

e930cf1be22c08f7788b4b65f294d358671e1f06

Settings:

daa763caa8cf505b40888241b0c545fc59c72587

bebbb08e15b2009810fcf7c2e365d1160781bbd5

Results:

533dfe6438a74f1ef08814645e3b74f9df4ce647

08c05ceda8563d996a98c78893cccc7089a85657

Example 3 Convert HGEC 3 Pregnant Mesh to HGEC B size boobs

Step 1: Import your meshes and delete the skeletons. You should get something like this:

281133e5a8eb0ae5a8d1185c4f771f0700f63691

Step 2: Click on Object -> Scripts -> Create Transformation Lattice 4.1

Chose "Upper Body"

dfdcb54b442f21afcc2219128fa5fa31e6d62522

Step 3: I recommend the following options for this mesh:

62eea55e7a2c022f75d6c7b623b674a5f31f6afc b44b696030a7522b36e4565c7ecefe7c10f9ce2f

Step 4: Wait a minute or so until you get this: Your mesh has now been transformed into the HGEC B type. This is good...but not what we want. We just want to transform the breasts.

d9b0f2a1f215c799a20ad694f906d3cfe1dd5aae

Step 5: Select each lattice and hit 'H' to hide it. Next, take a look at two things.

A: Under 'Link and Materials' look for Bip01 OP1.L and Bip01 OP1.R. These are the breast bone weighting vertex groups.

B. Under 'Modifiers' look for VGroup: Lat.L and VGroup Lat.R

d3374e63ffdf1c9a268492987a382c736e5580ae

Step 6. Replace Lat.L with Bip01 OP1.L.
Step 7. Replace Lat.R with Bip01 OP1.R

3c4b184ff67bbbb8fcadb0fb949f36b4fe21726e

Step 8. Breast Bone weighting tends to be fairly light, so hit 'copy' until the breasts are the size you want

3dd181bafc71a17f43ba4cb482e262088b130cbd

Once you are happy with everything, click 'Apply' on each lattice entry.

Select the mesh, import the skeleton, and export.

Instructions

I know that the instructions are a bit wordy at the moment. I'll see about adding some nice pretty pictures, assuming I don't get distracted by another project first.

Installing the script:

1. Extract object_create_transformation_lattice.py, object_mirror_groups.py, and object_create_lattice_groups.py from the 7zip file create_transformation_lattice_V_4_1.7z
2. Move all three .py files to your .blender/scripts folder.
3. Next time you load Blender, there should be a new script at the top of your Object>Scripts menu called "Create Transformation Lattice".

Using the script (Upper Body Mesh, Lower Body Mesh, Full Body Mesh):

Note: in order to use the "Breast Ring" option to convert between breasts of significantly different sizes (or to convert between male and female meshes), both meshes must have appropriate breast bone weightpainting. See "Improve Upper Body Transformations" for more information.

0. Optional: hit the 'z' key to enter wireframe mode.
1. Import a base nude body for the body style that you are converting from (Source Body). Delete the skeleton.
2. Import a base nude body for the body style that you are converting to (Target Body). Delete the skeleton.
3. Select the Source Body
4. Shift-Select the Target Body
5. At this point the Source Body should be outlined in dark pink, the Target Body should be outlined in light pink
6. Click on Object>Script>Create Transformation Lattice
7. Select your desired options and click OK (See "Explanation of Options" for more detail).
8. At this point, you should have a lattice that converts the Source Body into a reasonably close approximation of the Target Body
8.a. Compare the source and target bodies. Decide if you are happy with the results. If you think that the tool can create a better lattice, hit to back up a few steps and try again with slightly different options.
8.b. If the source mesh looks good, but isn't quite large enough to keep clothing conversions from clipping, consider tweaking the Growth Margin setting.
8.c. If the source mesh and target mesh differ significantly in size, consider generating two lattices. See the "Creating and Using Sequential Lattices" section.
9. Once you are happy with your lattice, make a note of its name. Feel free to modify the name if you like, however if you generated a Left or a Right lattice, the name MUST start with Lat.L_ or Lat.R_ respectively. I recommend also moving the lattice(s) to another layer as well ( hit , where # is the layer number).
10. Save your Blend file . Give it a descriptive name.
11. You are now ready to use the lattice on a clothing mesh. See "Using your Lattice"

Using the "Vertex Groups" Option

To make use of this updated feature, run the script as you normally would.
1. From the menu, enable the button labeled "Vertex Groups" and click OK.
2. This gives a list of all vertex groups on the source mesh
3. Select any vertex groups that you wish to use and click OK
3.a. Note: Some vertex groups work better than others. As always, the cleaner the weightpainting (and the more consistent it is between the meshes, the better the results)
4. If any of the vertex groups do not have an exact match on the target mesh, you will be presented with another menu. The title of this menu is the unmatched vertex group, the buttons will be any and all unmatched vertex groups on the target mesh.
5. Optional: select one of these groups and click OK. Otherwise leave all options unselected and click OK.
6. Steps 4 and 5 may repeat if multiple groups have no match

Improve Upper Body Transformations

The script contains an option (Breast Ring) that is designed to significantly improve the quality of breast transformations. Unfortunately, in order to function, it requires precise and high quality weightpainting of the breasts.

In order to generate a lattice that will convert between male and female meshes, or to convert between small and large breasts, you may need to temporarily modify the breast bone weightpainting on both meshes.

Grab the atuomated BB Weightpainter and follow the instructions there to replace the existing groups.

Using your Lattice:

1. Open the blend file that contains the lattice(s) that you wish to use.
2. Import the clothes that you wish to modify
3. Delete the skeleton, if present.
3.a. Depending on the mesh, you may also want to delete the body at this stage.
4. (optional) Hit a until all of the clothing meshes are selected. Hit control jto join the meshes.
5. With the mesh selected, click on Object>Scripts>Assign Lattices to Mesh
6. You should now see a menu that lists every lattice found in your current Blend file
7. Enable any lattices that you wish to apply to the mesh. It is safe to apply both left and right lattices at the same time
7.a. Note: For sequential lattices, it is generally best to only apply them one at a time. However, it is possible to safely add more than one at a time if you are careful to manually modify their order (see step 9.a)
8. Click OK.
9. A new modifier entry should now appear for each lattice that you selected.
9.a. Note: If you added more than one sequential lattice, Click on the ^ arrow next to the lattice modifier to move the first one to the top of the list, the second below the first, etc.
10. Starting at the first lattice in the list, click apply next to each lattice listed under the modifier tab. This makes the temporary lattice transformations permanent.
11. Next, copy the new body mesh into the clothing (if needed).
12. Check for clipping (does the body mesh stick through the clothing in places where it shouldn't)
12.a. There are several approaches to resolving clipping issues. You can try any or all of them, if you like:
12.a.1. Delete the portions of the body mesh that *should not* be visible. This reduces vertex counts and is generally good practice even in the absence of clipping.
12.a.2. Manually edit the clothing to fix the problem
12.a.3. Create a new lattice and start over. Do this *only* if you think that you can get the tool to generate a better lattice.
12.a.4. Create a second, or even a third lattice that can be applied sequentially to your clothing. See "Creating and Using Sequential Lattices".
13. From here, you can import a skeleton and export the mesh normally.

Using the Assign Lattices to Mesh Script

1. Select the mesh you wish to transform
2. Go to Object>Scripts>Assign Lattices to Mesh
2.a. You should now see a menu that lists every lattice found in your current Blend file.
3. Enable any lattices that you wish to apply to the mesh. It is safe to apply both left and right lattices at the same time
3.a. Note: For sequential lattices, it is generally best to only apply them one at a time, however you can add more than one at a time if you are careful to apply them in the correct order (see step 5.a).
4. Click OK.
5. A new modifier entry should now appear for each lattice that you selected.
5.a. Note: If you added more than one sequential lattice, move the first one to the top of the list, the second below the first, etc.
6. Starting at the first lattice in the list, click apply next to each lattice listed under the modifier tab.

Creating and Using Sequential Lattices:

Sometimes, you can get better results by generating multiple lattices that can be applied sequentially to your meshes. This is particularly true when you are generating lattices that produce large movements, such as a conversion from a small bust too a large one.
The idea is to first generate a crude lattice that generates large movements and then a precise lattice that generates small movements.

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with sequential lattices. Some days they perform virtual miracles, and other days they absolutely refuse to behave the way I expect. So, your mileage may vary. With that said, here is how you go about:

Generating Sequential Lattices

1. Follow the instructions in prior sections to generate the first lattice.
2. Select the Lattice and give it a descriptive name that ends in 1 or something similar to remind you that it *must* be applied first.
3. Move the lattice to another layer. (hit , where # is the layer number)
4. Select the source mesh.
5. Click on the ^ arrow next to the lattice modifier to move it to the top and then click Apply" next to the "Ob:" field. This converts the lattice transformation from temporary to permanent.
6. Now, generate a second lattice.
6.a. The ideal settings here vary considerably depending on the meshes and the results of the first lattice. Experiment.
7. Select the Lattice and give it a descriptive name that ends in 2 or something similar to remind you that it *must* be applied second.
8. Move the lattice to another layer. (hit , where # is the layer number)
9. Select the source mesh.
10. Click on the ^ arrow next to the lattice modifier to move it to the top and then click Apply" next to the "Ob:" field. This converts the lattice transformation from temporary to permanent.
11. If you like, you can repeat steps 1 to 5 generate additional lattices to achieve the desired effect.
12. Save your Blend file . Give it a descriptive name.
13. You are now ready to use the lattice on a clothing mesh. See "Using your Lattice"

Using Sequential Lattices

Using sequential lattices is extremely similar to using single lattices.
1. Follow the steps 1-4 in "Using your Lattice".
2. With the mesh selected, go to the editing screen on your button panel (F9) and look for the modifiers tab. Click 'Add Modifier' and select 'Lattice'
3. Type (or copy) the name of your first Lattice (the one that ends in 1) in the "Ob:" field.
4. Click on the ^ arrow next to the lattice modifier to move it to the top and then click Apply" next to the "Ob:" field.
5. With the mesh selected, go to the editing screen on your button panel (F9) and look for the modifiers tab. Click 'Add Modifier' and select 'Lattice'
6. Type (or copy) the name of your secpmd Lattice (the one that ends in 2) in the "Ob:" field.
7. Click on the ^ arrow next to the lattice modifier to move it to the top and then click Apply" next to the "Ob:" field.
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for any additional seqential lattices that you wish to apply to the mesh.
9. Follow the steps 8-10 in "Using your Lattice".

Improving your lattice

If you want improve your lattice, you have three major options. I recommend trying all of them to get a feel for what works best in which situation.

The first is to create a new lattice and experiment with different options in the script menu. It will remember your last used settings. See "Explanation of Options" for more detail.

Secondly, you can directly modify the new lattice.
1. Select the Lattice
2. Hit tab to enter edit mode
3. Edit the nodes directly, as if they were vertices.
4. Recommendations:
4.a. Enable proportional editing. Use your mousewheel to control the size of the affected area
4.b. Use the b key to toggle between different cursor selection modes
b.c. Use constrained transformations (g-y for example) to move the nodes along precise vectors. Use the Transform Orientations window for better control.

The third option is to apply more than one lattice to complete a transformation. See "Creating and Using Sequential Lattices"

Version 5.0 Download

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/24393-blender-scripts-package/

Old Version Archive:

Version 4.5. Beta Test Download

The package contains two main scripts and a function library in the /kg/ folder.  Both the main scripts and the kg folder should be installed in your /.Blender/scripts folder (or your custom user folder if you created one)

lattice_generator 4.5 beta.7z

Version 4.2.b Download

object_create_transformation_lattice_4_2_b.7z

latticeReadMe.txt

Hi gerra6, I tried v1.1 of your script and followed your instructions, but not sure if the lattice is coming out right.

I selected the target body (GUTS) and source body (DMRA), and my lattice looks like a bounding box...maybe I really don't know how to tweak the parameters? (see attached ss)

Hi gerra6' date=' I tried v1.1 of your script and followed your instructions, but not sure if the lattice is coming out right.

I selected the target body (GUTS) and source body (DMRA), and my lattice looks like a bounding box...maybe I really don't know how to tweak the parameters? (see attached ss)

[/quote']

Thanks for the feedback and bug report.

The lattice looking like a bounding box is fine, no issues there. The problem is that the lattice is not being sufficiently deformed to adequately deform the mesh.

Unfortunately, the current iteration of this tool has a completely absurd number of options (22 and counting). It's an experimental tool and is definitely a work in progress.

So far, I've found the main settings that need to be tweaked are the magnifiers (X, Y, and Z). These determine how much the mesh will deform. You may also need to reduce the X-Axis influence and y-Axis influence numbers (which make the algorithm search farther along those respective axes). To convert a DMRA style mesh to GUTS, you are going to need a ton of deformation on both the X and Y axis.

Something like this:

post-34206-0-51704700-1362128265_thumb.jpg

Not perfect. Reducing the DMRA body to the GUTS one caused a tiny bit of weirdness around the ankles and a bit of a sag in the back of the butt.

You may notice two more options in the screenshot(I know, I know). Breast influence and buttock influence are new in v.1.2 and help the script to do a better job of morphing one breast (or butt) style into another.

It's attached to this post.

I've also attached the blend file containing the lattice from the screenshot.

One more thing, the lattices that the script creates are almost certain to need some manual tweaking for best results. If you select the lattice and enter edit mode, you can move individual nodes on the lattice.

You can also change the X, Y, and Z transformation types between Linear, Cardinal, and BSpline after you have made the lattice.

@gerra6

My new freaking hero! lol. I tried making a lattice once to try and morph an outfit from a Cali body down to the Skinny6. Man what a pain that was and needless to say I've never touched it again. This might just be what I need to do more body converts for outfits. Thanks a ton and I'll keep an eye out for updates. Cheers!

TI

Version 1.4 has been released.

I'm satisfied. I'll probably update the GUI with something a bit less atrocious, but I think I've gotten the back-end working the way I want it.

Please let me know if there are any bugs or requests for features.

This script has been extremely fun (and incredibly challenging). I wasn't even sure if it was possible to do this when I started.

Enjoy.

OK, I said I was happy with the engine when I released 1.4.

I guess I lied. I had a bit of an epiphany a few days back and thought I'd see my idea would work.

I give you, Transformation Lattice Generator 2.0.

Upper body transformations have been dramatically improved, with significantly increased precision in breast transformation.

It is now possible to convert between nearly any two upper body styles with very good results.

Please, try it out and give me any feedback you've got.

Wow! Just heard about this! I've got a boatload of conversions coming up so I'll be trying this out right away. Anything to make life easier for converting. :D :D :D

Eventually if I ever finish conversions I'll have to start making my own new stuff again.... ;)

Experimenting.

How far you guys tune? Until it gets nearly same? or moerately?

It's still a brand new experimental tool so the best answer is, how far do you want to tune it?

The pregnancy bodies are going to be a bit of a challenge, actually.

You'll probably want to experiment with very high X and Y search weights and a fairly low vertex target number to compensate for the extended belly. **Edit 2** Scratch that. I've loaded up the meshes to take a look. The pregnant mesh has an edge that's pretty low compared to the LAB mesh. I think I'll need to code something to automatically compensate for those sorts of difference. I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow but it will probably be something similar to what I wrote for breasts.

It might also be a two stepper. I've found that any transformations that result in significant lattice movement require one lattice to take care of the crude movement and a second to fine tune the positions for best results. Take a look at the example I added to the first post, to get an idea.

I'll do some experimenting tomorrow and see if there are any back-end tweaks I can come up with to improve the results for the pregnant bodies.

In general, if you are creating a clothing conversion lattice, it is good to transform a mesh so that it is very slightly larger than the target.

It sometimes helps to select the lattice, go into the editing button panel, and try the different U,V, and W transformation types.

And of course, you can always manually edit the lattice after it has been generated. But that's an ugly, ugly process.

*Edit*

Here's a handy tip that's new with Version 2.1. Since the effective lattice node movement is now constant regardless of the number of nodes, you can save time by setting the node multiplier to a very low number when you are experimenting with settings and then increase it for your higher quality proof.

***Edit 3***

I'd just like to send you a word of thanks. I didn't even think about pregnant meshes while I was developing this thing, and boy do they break the tool. It will be a serious challenge to compensate for them, but I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Experimenting.

How far you guys tune? Until it gets nearly same? or moerately?

It's still a brand new experimental tool so the best answer is' date=' how far do you want to tune it?

The pregnancy bodies are going to be a bit of a challenge, actually.

You'll probably want to experiment with very high X and Y search weights and a fairly low vertex target number to compensate for the extended belly. **Edit 2** Scratch that. I've loaded up the meshes to take a look. The pregnant mesh has an edge that's pretty low compared to the LAB mesh. I think I'll need to code something to automatically compensate for those sorts of difference. I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow but it will probably be something similar to what I wrote for breasts.

It might also be a two stepper. I've found that any transformations that result in significant lattice movement require one lattice to take care of the crude movement and a second to fine tune the positions for best results. Take a look at the example I added to the first post, to get an idea.

I'll do some experimenting tomorrow and see if there are any back-end tweaks I can come up with to improve the results for the pregnant bodies.

In general, if you are creating a clothing conversion lattice, it is good to transform a mesh so that it is very slightly larger than the target.

It sometimes helps to select the lattice, go into the editing button panel, and try the different U,V, and W transformation types.

And of course, you can always manually edit the lattice after it has been generated. But that's an ugly, ugly process.

*Edit*

Here's a handy tip that's new with Version 2.1. Since the effective lattice node movement is now constant regardless of the number of nodes, you can save time by setting the node multiplier to a very low number when you are experimenting with settings and then increase it for your higher quality proof.

***Edit 3***

I'd just like to send you a word of thanks. I didn't even think about pregnant meshes while I was developing this thing, and boy do they break the tool. It will be a serious challenge to compensate for them, but I'm kind of looking forward to it.

[/quote']

Thank you, it was helpful. I was planning to convert massive amount of vanilla outfits to pregnancy - you are a life saver. I'll long for the next update. As I hardly know about 3D graphics theory, the best way for me to do this is getting familiarized. :D

Thank you' date=' it was helpful. I was planning to convert massive amount of vanilla outfits to pregnancy - you are a life saver. I'll long for the next update. As I hardly know about 3D graphics theory, the best way for me to do this is getting familiarized. :D

[/quote']

I'm actually a noob myself. My first experience with Blender and Python was back in early August when I started the Setbody Reloaded project.

Sometimes being a noob helps. You don't know what's "simply not possible" yet.

Version 2.2 has been released.

A supplemental vertex search engine has been added that should significantly improve the lattice quality when transforming meshes with very different seams.

In particular, the lattice quality of normal to pregnant transformations should be dramatically improved.

Thanks for the update.

First test for the lower body HGEC to HGEC P3.

97606106.jpg

My setting.

25873698.jpg

5 Node Multiplier, 2 loop

99340566.jpg

5, 10 loop. This was the best.

4715.jpg

7, 15 loop. Ah, crap!

5710t.jpg

7, 10 loop.

6515x.jpg

5, 15 loop.

It seems more iterations doesn't mean the better results.

But definitely better than 2.1, at least for the belly part.

Thanks for the update.

It seems more iterations doesn't mean the better results.

But definitely better than 2.1' date=' at least for the belly part.

[/quote']

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate you taking a look.

Iterations are a bit tricky. With the 2.2 release, I have two completely different algorithms that are used to find the best vertex target, and they do not play nicely with each other.

Increasing the iterations increases the area covered by the seam based algorithm. This is a very handy algorithm that works great when it's dealing with, well, tubes. The second a tube splits (such as when the lower body becomes a pair of legs) the algorithm breaks down.

The other algorithm, the distance based one, works great for precisely matching up vertices. It works well for everything except breasts and, as we discovered yesterday, pregnant bodies.

So, achieving optimal results is a balancing act between these two algorithms. In general, you'll want an iteration number that is large enough to cover the entire problem area, but small enough that it doesn't go nuts.

Here's my recommendation for optimal results for pregnant body conversions: Create two lattices to be used sequentially, and set the Ring Iterations to 0 for the second lattice. The first lattice gives you the belly, the second gives you the details.

For the upper body this time.

1originalmeshes.jpg

Source body - HGEC D cup. Target Body - HGEC P3.

3settings.jpg

First settings.

14053300.jpg

Fist result. When I set Node Search higher than 0.2, the navel part went wrong.

4settings.jpg

My second bet. Set iteration number to 0 as you said.

37352594.jpg

Second result.

It's decent, isn't the prettiest thing in the world though. I tried the third several times, but didn't get any better for practical purpose.

How should I do to get finer tune? hm, it would be better if there is some kind of a library of lattice files..

1originalmeshes.jpg

3settings.jpg

First settings.

14053300.jpg

Fist result. When I set Node Search higher than 0.2' date=' the navel part went wrong.

4settings.jpg

37352594.jpg

Second result.

It's decent, isn't the prettiest thing in the world though. I tried the third several times, but didn't get any better for practical purpose.

How should I do to get finer tune? hm, it would be better if there is some kind of a library of lattice files..

See what happens if you apply the lattice to the mesh and then generate a second lattice. For the second lattice, set the iterations to 0.

I'm still working on the algorithm.

1originalmeshes.jpg

3settings.jpg

First settings.

14053300.jpg

Fist result. When I set Node Search higher than 0.2' date=' the navel part went wrong.

4settings.jpg

37352594.jpg

Second result.

See what happens if you apply the lattice to the mesh and then generate a second lattice. For the second lattice, set the iterations to 0.

I'm still working on the algorithm.

Actually, I did. The second result I've mentioned is the secend lattice with 0 iteration.

I don't really think this belly problem is a serious flaw, but the next update seems promising.

Actually' date=' I did. The second result I've mentioned is the secend lattice with 0 iteration.

I don't really think this belly problem is a serious flaw, but the next update seems promising.

[/quote']

I hope so. I'm having a hell of a time fixing the algorithm today. It may just not be my day for coding.

But then, I was watching the Giants kick some ass (Hell Yeah!), so maybe I'm just distracted.

Archived